700 Venture: Chaincase Tension

tukaluk

I was investigating a clunking noise I can hear on my 2000 700 Venture - just when I'm at slow speeds on a hard pack surface... Decided to crack open the chain case, and have a peak?

Anyone know just how tight the chain should be? Mine does not seem all that tight, and the middle gear shows some sighs of wear.

I also noticed That I have quite a bit of play when I turn my secondary back and forth before my track moves… Is this normal (does it have something to do with the reverse). I noticed my brothers Viper has no slack what-so-ever (Then again… he has no reverse too)

Oh, that clunking noise, Showed up shortly after I studded the track

THANKS!!

I'm not 100% sure...I think its to do with the rev...with the cover off. finger tighten the bolt till you can't turn it no more by hand...back off slightly & lock it down...move chain to see check slack...should be good.
Now for the clicking sound you heard...might be from ice build up on the front on you rails & clacking off the clips on the track...@ higher speeds the tip is off slightly...or...your brake rotor key could be worn out, causing chatter...

If you have rev. you will have some rotational play,normal,finger tight on the adjuster bolt then back off just a little..

Thanks - Finger tight, and backed off a bit looks like what it should be – Thought that’s what it was, just wanted to double check.

I’ll put it all back together, and get some chaincase oil tomorrow at the store and try it out.

Still not sure if that’s gonna fix the Clunking – as it’s been doing that for a bout year now (I don’t ride a whole lot, just a weekend or two, the a week trip fishing up north (next week)

Thanks fer repling

Yes it has reverse.

Another question I have... How much rotational play should the brake have on the jackshaft? Is an inch or so too much?

tukaluk said:
Yes it has reverse.

Another question I have... How much rotational play should the brake have on the jackshaft? Is an inch or so too much?

Are you sure the jackshaft isn't turning too? If not then it is too much, there should be hardly any play there.

I have a 600 Venture with reverse. It has quite a bit of play when rotating the secondary shaft, about two inches or more. I met with another venture driver and got talking (much newer machine but don't know what year) he popped his hood and the play was also quite a lot so I am not worrying about it. Tension must be maintained with springs and such internally somehow.

If it has rev. that is normal to have rotational play in the chain case..

as far as brake rotor having play on the jackshaft there will be some R
play in that also,,not much but some.

Ok, I search for chain info and guess better to bump an old thread since I already posted here years ago about the same thing. I know I have too much play in the first ride this year. I get a good bang. Coming to a stop and start off easy again. The secondary rotational play is note worthy. I have lots of bolt protruding to tighten it up. So the question how much is normal. For some reason I cannot find my printed manual. So I would be guessing but I do have to drive it in. This sled has reverse and from old conversions the tensioner is suppose to be a gear and not a nylon slider applying tension.

If I need fluid what type of synthetic is used in it. It may need a top up but no leaks that I can see.

Thanks for any quick reply's since I have to do this today with the machine being at my cottage.

I got some rattling while driving as sounds like the clutch. I have not pulled it before and woundering if I did are there any spring loaded stuff to fly apart if I unbolted it off the shaft to check inside. I generally leave things alone if working checking and lubing the outer fingers and rollers of the clutch only. This is all stock setup.

Edit
I have approx. 2.25 - 2.5" play on the sheave. I broke free the locking nut be can't tighten as is. I am going to try an pull the output exhaust out of the way then it should be very easy. Looked again at the clutch and I don't see anything amiss probably the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
Yamaha uses a roller for chain case tension on the newer sleds.

I have a rattling clunk on Betsy at a certain speed. Replaced/checked every bearing on the sled and it is still there. Nothing else is worn or broken so it must be normal. It still has the same rotational play as my apex does and my dads 05 venture.

Chain case oil can be any type of gear lube. I use 75w90 synthetic gear lube but plain old 80w90 works too.

Yamaha uses a roller for chain case tension on the newer sleds.

I have a rattling clunk on Betsy at a certain speed. Replaced/checked every bearing on the sled and it is still there. Nothing else is worn or broken so it must be normal. It still has the same rotational play as my apex does and my dads 05 venture.

Chain case oil can be any type of gear lube. I use 75w90 synthetic gear lube but plain old 80w90 works too.
Thanks, its smelled like GL5 type gear fluid. I could not see a drain for it and there is oil in it maybe off a bit but sleds on snow or yards aren't level so it maybe ok. The dipstick has two sides REVERSE with <> and FORWARD < > so that appears to be the range in my interpretation.

I pulled most of the springs to get in there but still have the muffer offset as it wasn't all releasing.

Here is a great reference for you. I had my sled apart and took good pics for just this reason.

Backlash is caused by the dog between the bottom chain and reverse bottom gear. The dog is spring loaded so the shift lever can go all the way into fwd even if the dogs not lined up. At the first little bit of rotation it will clunk in. The big spring holds the 2 together and overpowers the dog spring to keep it there. The backlash on just the gear is not all that much, but because of the gear reduction when you feel it in the secondary it seems excessive.

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/threads/94637-Reverse-Chain-Case-Re-install-with-Pics

Back