Another Cat diesel question

ModMMax

I have twin Caterpillar engines in my boat and could use some help/advice. I'll ask in this tread so I don't hijack the one about the rebuilt that won't start. My engines are 1990 3208's, 375hp single turbo with 2000 hours. The manual says they are ready for a valve set. I purchased the shop manuals for the engines but they do not contain a step by step "how to". Is a valve set something I should hire a professional to do? BTW, the cost to have Cat do it is about $2k. Is there a Cat manual that describes the process for valve adjustment? Engines are smoking a little at start up and I am told that a valve adjustment should cure it. True? Any advice appreciated.

Gotta love those v-8 cats,

i have the cat sis program let me check on it for you..... do you have the 3 digit prefix by chance?

valve lash for intake is .015 in. for intake and .025 in for exhaust.... As for what cyl you need to start at my guess on those v-8's it would be the same as any other engine, cylinder number on at top dead center on its compression stroke, then you just go from there 2, 3,4,5,6,7,8....

You need a feeler gauge for those measurements...

I don't have the engine serial numbers with me and I won't be back on the boat until May. I do remeber that the serial numbers start with 1Z.

if the v8 is like the inline 6 then u will need to pin the engine on the fly wheel before u do ur valve set and set a specified # of cylinders then du ur crank rotation and pin it again and finish ur set. have only done the inline 6 so u should get a print out from a cat dealer on valve set for that engine. i would not pay anybody 2g to do a valve set. thats hiway robberey, my 2 cents Al Larson

it isn't that expensive to find a local mechanic to run the overhead. If you get it wrong, you will need them anyways. I always pay to have my cummins abd cat done. Maxdlx

There is all kinds of information on that if you join the truck and diesel forums. Big community here just like TY. Does the factory reccommend you reset the valves after 2000 hours? I dont understand how a valve set will cure this problem.

What you are most likely experiencing is oil seeping past the valve stem seals while the engine is sitting for an extended period. A little bit of oil can make a surprising quantity of smoke. As the rubber in the valve stem seals gets old, it gets hard and brittle and does not seal against the valve stems quite like it should. The result is a film of oil on the valve stems and in the exhaust and intake ports. When the engine starts up, the oil burns off, creating the blue smoke.

Thanks Tomseal. Yes, Cat recommends a valve set after 2000 hours. You may be right about the smoke. It may be oil burning but I think its more diesel fuel burning. I am on boating forums where diesel boat owners have reported reduced start up diesel smoke after a valve set. Transom sooting is also an issue with diesel engines. The common thinking is that a valve set will reduce it as well. When I first purchased my boat, it had been sitting for 3 years. First 80 mile run made a black ugly mess of the dinghy. I began using additive and it has cleaned up a lot. I'm hoping that a valve set will reduce the transom mess a little more. I am a member of boatdiesel.com. Lots of guys who pretend to know a bunch but when you try to get specific details.......well, you know. I likely will have this done professionally and watch real close as its being done.

Darn it, I wish I was at work right now. We have a tech library stacked with books and alot of cat stuff. I cant believe people will pay 2g's to have this done. All you need is a feeler gauge, screw driver, and a wrench. There is a valve adjusting sequence. You will have to bar the engine over and adjust certain intake and exhaust valves in sequence measuring with the feeler gauge on the rocker and stem clearance. VERY easy to do. I did this in C-school on a 3306 inline 6 cat. We even had a thermal gun to take the temperature on each cylinder at each cylinders exhaust mainfold. If the temperature is between a certain operating temp between all of them, your good to go. Just need that book of info.

2G's wow my guy charges me 200 bucks to run the rack on my KW. I wouldn't pay 2 grand. Maxdlx

Cat says it could take 2 days depending on how hard it is to get to the engines. They charge $90/hr. Add the gaskets and tax and I'll be lucky if its only $2K. I have to pull the floor our of the salon on the boat to expose the engines. The sides close to the center line walkway will be easy but the outside 2 heads are not going to be so easy. Oh well, it is what it is. I would rather pay and have it done right than try to save a few dollars and have an engine fail.

sorry about the delay the cat guy at work would like to know what the hp is on the engines says it makes a difference. by the way he is certified on the 3208 cats and has the manuals, in our office.

Back