Tight steering issues

mountainmaxman

Just purchased a 1998 SRX Mountain. I know they only were made for a couple years and not sure of engine sizes. This one is a 700 triple power valve, 136 track with 1.5 paddle.

Got a great deal as the machines only has 2,000 miles on it and picked 'er up for $1,200. The sled hasn't been rode much over the past couple of years. It basically sat in front of someone's house and was used to give kids a ride around the yard.

It does need skags, but since my 99 MM had the same Yami skis, I swapped them out for a test run last Saturday before I bought the machine. The problem is the steering is VERY tight. I greased the spindles up good before taking it out.

The manual didn's show any other greasible spots, except for one down on the bottom where the tie rods hook into the steering shaft. That is SUPPOSED to have a zerk fitting on it but I didn't see one.

THe manual also showed there are several sets of bearings along the steering shaft which can be repacked or replaced. The problem is they are located BEHIND the engine which must be removed before you can get access to the little buggers.

Has anyone else run into this problem? The sled runs great--after a wide-open running to clear out the cobwebs from sitting so long. It IS rideable the way it is, but it sure would be a lot more pleasurable if it was a little more nimble off-trail!

ANY IDEAS oR SUGGESTIONS would be GREATLY appreciated as we are under blizzard warnings until tomorrow late morning. 1.5 feet of fresh snow on top of the 3-4 feet already out in the woods means at LEAST one more weekend of riding...and to think, after last Saturday, we were all convinced it was time to put the toys away for the winter!!!!

Thanx gang!

lift the front end and check for any binding with no load. if it feels free in the air, check your limiter strap adjustment and ski shock setting. ski shock too tight increases steering effort, limiter straps too tight affects steering. good luck.

I had the same problem, turned out to be a bent spindle. Your right about the steering bell, the older model didn't have a grease fitting , but the newer ones did. I would check each spindle, they bend really easy and they are easy to check.

Hard steering problem SOLVED!

Gang--

Thanx for all the suggestions. Now that it looks as tho the season is over, I pulled the sled in the garage and put it on the hoist. Front end hoisted?--same problem. It took two hands to move the skis. and handlebar.

Started with the driver side spindle and disconnected the parts to get "down to basics". Usually the whole assembly and ski just drops out. I had to take a five-pound dead-blow hammer to get it to drop out of the spindle with the ski on it...and I am mean had to smack it pretty darned hard.

Spindle was covered with grease but there was a ring of rust around the bottom of the spindle. Emery-clothed the whole assembly and wire-brushed the inside of the trailing arm fixture. Checked the zerk fitting (can't overlook the obvious, right?) FIlled'er full of grease and crossed my fingers

Don't ask me why or how, but when I reassembled everything, things were slick as snot, so to speak. Did the same with the passender side even though the problem was limited to the driver side.

Probably won't have a chance to REALLY try'er out till next season, but I think I fixed the problem...don't know why it was jammed so tight...no bends, just some rust along the shaft, especially and down where it meets the ski assessmbly.

Figured I'd post this anyway just in case someone else comes across the same situation!

early SRX models alos had a flaw in the steering post. They would bend or break off. There were upgraded to be stronger in 00 I believe.

Back