Enjoy the New Section!!!!

MrSled

Site Admin/CEO
Staff member
Website
www.totallyamaha.com
Hebi, was talking about a new section for everyone to share their Truck and Cars or Yamaha Tow Vehicles...I will start with my 02 Chev Sub :WayCool: :WayCool:

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 13

Hey, thanks for the contribution credit. It was a no-brainer really, I mean pretty much all of use use some kind of vehicle to haul our sleds, so I figured why not a section devoted to that.
Im rollin' in a '99 F-150 reg cab XLT 4x4 off-road w/ a 5.4L Triton V8. Its a pretty decent truck, I got it at a sweet price so it was hard to pass up. I would have much prefered a Toyota Tundra, but I couldnt have even come close to getting a Tundra for what I paid for this F-150.
Anyways, if any of you guys/gals have questions about ANYTHING that has to do with Toyotas, I will be honored to be of service. ;)!
I am what many would consider to be a Toyota expert. I can tell you about any Toyota vehicle ranging from a Tacoma, Hilux, 4Runner, LandCruiser, and Tundra to other more car-like vehicles like the Avalon, Camry, Corolla, Celica, MR-2, ECHO, Tercel, Paseo, Corona (how many cars do you know that have a beer named after them???), Highlander, RAV4, Previa and Sienna. Toyota isnt perfect, but they are the closes to perfection of any automaker (in my opinion). As proud and loyal as I am to Toyota, I will not blow smoke up your butt either. If you post saying you are thinking about buying a '95 Tacoma/4Runner with a 3.0L V6, I will be honest and tell you, "nice vehicle, make sure you keep an eye on the head gasket though." I would also tell you to avoid a Toyota that doesnt have the ECT-i automatic tranny. The ECTs were good trannys and you cant kill 'em, but they are very slow to respond. (thats the biggest reason I went with an F-150 over a Tundra, I hated my '91 4Runner V6 automatic because to accelerate hard you had to floor it for about 3 seconds so that the tranny would downshift from 4th to 2nd).
Im also fairly knowledgable of other Japanese cars, but my main knowledge is in Toyotas.
Im also decent when it comes to Fords. I grew up in a Ford family, so I have that background. I cant really explain how I grow up in a Ford/Polaris family but yet end up liking Toyota/Yamaha as an adult, but here I am. :yam:
So if you have a question, please do not hesitate.
Hebi

I have heard about that problem with the toyota transmission. The person that told me about it fixed the problem with a 30 second adjustment to the tv cable. I believe this can be done to any automatic transmission to adjust the shift points.

Slow resonse of a tranny is one of my biggest annoyances with an automatic. I like the fact that when you plant the gas pedal firmly on the floorboard my F-150 downshifts in less than 1 second.
Speaking of transmissions, you know how GM and Ford think they are so revolutionary having a tow/haul (GM) and "tow-logic" (Ford) modes with their trannys. You simply push a button and it changes the rpms at which the tranny shifts from one gear to the next.
Well, my '91 Toyota 4Runner had the very same things. Thats right, 1991. Ah well, the domestics are only 15 years behind...
Hebi

Hebi, Your Toyota was about 6 years behind my 85 Jeep Cherokee. 4.0 with a tow package that included the switch on the dash for towing mode. Raised shift points and really made it snappy when not towing. With 3.88 ratio axles I pulled my 4 place Triton with 4 sleds to Tomahawk many times. Still mis that little bugger. I now have an 03 Ram Hemi 4x4 with 20"s that REALLY pulls that trailer!

My parents had a '01 Grand Cherokee Limited that had the 4.0L inline six. It was actually pretty torquey, especially for a six.
They only had it about 6 months and then got rid of it. Living up in Minocqua, WI you need a 4x4 that is pretty good in the snow. That Jeep was not at all good in the snow. That Jeep was pretty nice: heated leather seats, had the premium sound system (I think that thing had something like 10 or 12 speakers in it).
They also sold it because of all of the problems Chrysler has had with their trannys.
Hebi

Thanks, I've had the truck for a full year now and continue to be impressed.

10,022 SS units were produced in 2003 and 5,098 in 2004. I'd probably be ahead storing it as a collector if I didn't like driving it so much. :rockon:

Nice truck, for a Chevy. LOL j/k!
Seriously though, that is one sharp-looking truck.
You gotta love full-size trucks nowdays. We have just as much power as musclecars had in the '60s but yet we can still pull anywheres from 12-18 mpg. Plus, with the payload and towing ratings most trucks have nowdays most people wont even come close to reaching the vehicle's limits.
I will be very interested to see how the Toyota Tacoma X-Runner performs when it is relased. Can you imagine a little 3,000-pound truck with 240 hp STOCK w/ a 6-speed manual tranny. You could slap a TRD supercharger (which will be available as a factory option) on that engine and push it to over 350 hp on pump gas.
Its also true what you said, you could just change the whole shift program but there is one major downside to that. The whole idea of having a special "tow" mode is so that if you need a little more when pull you can push the button and get more and then when you dont need it you can turn the mode off.
If you set it so that it shifts at lets say 4,000 rpm in every gear you will reduce fuel economy and shorten the life of your engine. Especially with a V8, which in the end fails because of the vibration, you want to keep the rpms as low as you can (below 3,000 is good) to maximize durability. Youve also got to consider that most people only use their truck for hauling about 10% of the time so they dont really need a more aggressive shift program. Me personally, thats why I prefer a manual transmission. I like to be the one who is in control, not some computer. With a manual you dont have to worry about frying your tranny while towing. Once you let that clutch all the way out there is no slippage in the drive train. I also like the feel of a manual tranny. To me, you feel every little thing that happens inside that drivetrain. Also when something goes wrong on a manual (clutch burns out, linkage gets sloppy, ect) you have a fair amount of time (usually) where you can feel that something is going wrong. A lot of times with an automatic, its an "all of the sudden" kinda thing. I have always liked that "funny little pedal on the left".
Hebi

Thanks Hebi,

Regarding the programming, they're getting a little more sophisticated than just changing shift points. The beauty is there are forums, just like this one, where people help each other get their vehicles running sweet. Here's an example of settings used for a turbo SS from the Silverado SS forum:

Engine stuff:
17-11* of wot timing (to accomodate boost) (high octane == low octane)
IAT Add = moved the pull timing section up to 140*
AFR add = 0
IFR = 5.15 (44lb injectors)
MAF = stock
VE = slight global adjustment upwards (102% I think) and some low end tweaking (for FTC 8-12 grr!!)
Calc Airflow = stock * 1.7
delta airflow = stock * 3
PE = higher slope curve, maxing at 1.294 at wot
PE Map enable = 45 KPA
PE Delay RPM = 2800
PE TPS enable = 83%
Boost KR Delta air enable = stock * 3
KR decay = stock * 8
Closed loop proportional airflow mode (moving) = stock * .95 (rich == lean)
Closed loop prop 02 error (moving) = 2.00 max on rich, 3.5 max on lean
CLP airflow mode (idle) = 10 across the scale
CLP 02 error (idle) = 2.0 max
TM = 0

Tranny stuff:
line pressure = stock
shift timings = 0
TM = 0

Just what I need to improve my truck until it doesn't work anymore.:WayCool:

Back