99 mountain max 600 high speed miss

sxr1000

Hi just like it says, 99 600 twin develops a miss fire that you can hear in the can,bypassed the tors,new plugs and caps cleaned carbs,it runs great down low but at WOT you can hear it,what should I look at next? smart carbs? stator? CDI? thanks.

Is that a twin? If so, I would lean more towards the stator.

Are your main jets perfectly clean?

Hey, I had a 98 MM600 with the smart carbs and it worked great.
Your problem sounds very close to one I had a few times even after I cleaned the carbs. It wouldn't backfire, but there was noticable miss at higher rpms.

In the inlet throat of the carbs, there are a couple little holes that direct air flow to other parts of the carb/sensor (not sure on terminology anymore).
Check those passages very closely. There was a tiny piece of fuzz, that got sucked in there causing a partial blockage.

It did this a few times over all the years I rode it, but once I knew it was a simple fix.

Just saying that some times they got pretty picky. Also had one and wish I had it back. Great sled.
Dutchman is right on the holes, but most important thing I learned was to run Iso-Heet in the fuel. Will help prevent iceing of the solnoide that controls the settings. If they freeze up you will know it. It will only run enough to get you back to the parking lot. Then you will need to get it in warm and thaw it out.

Hmmm
Wow this is by far the most discussion I have read on the Smart Carbs in all the years I have been trying to understand mine.

Knowone has ever detailed cleaning this or setting them up either. The manual doesn't get into it at all nor balancing the carbs if separated etc to clean them.

More more I am listening....

Back