Drowned RX1....water in fuel?ECU??

Jerimiah Johnson

Hello all,Recently(5 days ago)I recovered my 2003 RX1 from being totally submerged in a creek for 20 hrs.Since that time,my sled has been sitting next to a wood stove in a garage.I have managed to get it running,given it 4 oil and filter changes,drained the chain case 4 times,drained the fuel tank& carbs,greased all the zeks,and hit all the electrical connections with contact cleaner.
Now for the problem(Besides a water logged seat)...I took it for a quick ride around the block last night and all seemed to be fine.Today I tried it again and anytime I gave the throttle constant fuel the sled would fall on its face and backfire out the exhaust.It got bad enough to where I had to get off the sled and walk next to it, blipping the gas in order to get it back in the garage.Once in the garage I drained the carbs again and gave it another whirl.This seemed to make it better.However if you open the throttle all the way up the sled will stutter and stumble for about 2-3 seconds and then come right to life.
My local dealer suggested that this may be the ECU,but I'm wondering if I still have water in my fuel or perhaps a plugged up fuel filter.Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Alaskan Snow Machine Wash!.JPG
    Alaskan Snow Machine Wash!.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Taking a bath.JPG
    Taking a bath.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Taking a bath 2.JPG
    Taking a bath 2.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Sorry for your luck...I would cry, let alone share these photos...glad you did, cause it could happen to any one...I would go through every thing again...strip it right down everything...especially the electrical wire harness & cpu...YES...I dried out a Poo once & my Dad as well...we put a dryer rack in the dryer dried the wire harness out on low heat for a couple hours & hung it next to the wood stove for another day, greased up the connections & put it all back together...don't over look anything, like light plugs etc...do the carbs again, did you flush the fuel line out & pump with a vac/pump...Is there a stator & flywheel pick up on these machines like the 2 strokes?
When all said & done & your machine runs well again...post some pics & a write up on the steps & maybe a Moderator can make it a sticky so other can view...
GOOD LUCK MAN...

Could be the tors acting up - I'd replace your throttle cable or at least blow it out ans use a cable luber abd lube the cable REAL WELL!!!!

Good luck getting 'er straightened out and let us know how you turn out.

(Thanks for posting - good reminder to all of us to watch the early season ice!!)

drowned RX1

Had same situation with a buddy of mine, sorry no pics. Did all of what you did, this was in spring conditions, summerized sled and everything ok- NOT. 1st ride next season- everything was ok until 6-7 km out- dropped exhaust valve and scattered engine- to the tune of $4,000cdn. Rebuilder said possibly due to hot engine submerged and cooled too quickly cracked valve- who knows. GOOD LUCK

Try putting some of the DRY-ICE alcohol Stuff in the fuel. That way, if there is ANY water in there, it will mix with it.

Well with my experience of working for a Ford Dealer and watching people shampoo their engines and they wonder why the check engine light comes on for a miss fire I could tell you that it could be just as simple as the the coil pack boot being full off water and it is arching on the head instead of firing that cylinder. The sparkplugs being so far down in between the camshafts makes a good spot for water to hide. Don't be fooled and thinking blowing the water out with air will fix it. You'll have to pull the coil, blow out all the water then pull the plug and check it. If the boot is all cracked you'll need new ones.

Back