99 SRX ?s

alces1

Hi guys/girls, new here and had a few ?s on a 99 SRX. Had one back in 99 and went off to try some other brands to find I actually like the SRX the best of all. Just purchased a pair of them in exceellent shape for $2300 a piece, good deal I assume. A few things I didnt like about the SRX and would like to change if possible are: the headlight, can it be changed to the 00 style or is this too involved? If not how about better bulbs? Also had a problem in powder with the snow hitting the skis and flying straight into your helmet, any fixes or was that an odd occrance? Last one, what has changed to make the 00 and up faster that would be an easy upgrade for these? Thanks !

My sx used to throw snow directly into my helmet too. I changed to a tall windshield, but when the tall one breaks I'm gonna get a medium windshield.

There are several posts on lighting options, seems that changing to a dual bulb is not worth the effort but go to Xenon or Silverstar headlight bulb and LED taillights.

Changing the lighting is way more involved then you want ( CDI, Harness, Stator hood, pod, etc….). I would bring the motor up to the 2000 specs on the motor or have the heads cut to .030. As far as a better light, the best thing I can tell you on my 99 SRX was that I went with a 100/55 xenon boosted front light with a led tail light and had plenty of power to run it with virtually no dimming, when you apply the brakes.

SRX upgrades

ALCES, Yes, I run the same upgrade 100/55 lamp as MR. Sled and it really seems to help! The snow in the helmet thing can be cured with a taller windshield! Check out my avatar, Makes a huge differance when that Temp gets down below zero too! I run a tall one also, dosent look as good as my factory painted yama blue shorty but is much more functional! It also gives you a sleeper sled look, When you fly buy other riders they don't think your on an SRX!!!!!!! Enjoy! Terry

Thanks for the info, will order a bulb today. MrSled, what updates need to be done to 2000 specs? Thanks again!

you wont get all of the 2000 hp gains because of the ignition but you can have the cylinder ported to the 2000 spec for the port timing, along with the head work and air box changes and jetting. Just so you know, the 2000 stock has 6 more hp over a 99 stock, 15 % wider powerband, 30% more low end and the fuel economy is improved by 18 %...this is all Tech Update Info.

The xenon bulb really did the trick on mine. I run an 80/100 watt bulb with very little dimming when I apply the brakes. Clutching on the 99 SRX is a good idea also. If you are clutched right, and have your heads cut you should be able to hang right up there with the 00 and newer SRX sleds.

porting

msled,
you mention cutting heads .030 and having a port job to get newer specs. would adding an additional base gasket and cutting heads .010 do the same thing for less $$? Dave

if you add a base gasket thats .020 and thats aprox. how much they raised the exhaust ports on the 00 and then they cut the 2000 heads .010 so you would want to cut the heads .030 to achieve that same thing. But the best way is to have the porting done and cut the heads .030 with out raising the cyl and change the squish .020 and then have the porting match the power valves and so on.....

a few 99's I have drove have been very nice - clutch it and get some traction and your good

Back