87 Inviter with no spark!?!?!?!?

RIVERRUNNER

Hey guys I have a 87 inviter with no spark. From my research I have both a internal and external coil. I check the continuity on the external coil and between the one lead that goes into the coil(red wire) and the base of the coil I get 1.2-1.4 ohms.( That seems like way to much) I have also found that it is the same as a coil on a bravo years 82-88. Does anyone have a book for either of these sleds to tell me if the external coil(Spark plug coil) is bad? A coil from yamaha is like 74 bucks and dennis kirk does not sell one, they only have internal ones. Can someone give me some suggestions? Thanks Rob

RIVERRUNNER said:
Hey guys I have a 87 inviter with no spark. From my research I have both a internal and external coil. I check the continuity on the external coil and between the one lead that goes into the coil(red wire) and the base of the coil I get 1.2-1.4 ohms.( That seems like way to much) I have also found that it is the same as a coil on a bravo years 82-88. Does anyone have a book for either of these sleds to tell me if the external coil(Spark plug coil) is bad? A coil from yamaha is like 74 bucks and dennis kirk does not sell one, they only have internal ones. Can someone give me some suggestions? Thanks Rob
The ignition on that sled is extremely durable. I would check all connections ( especially the ground) and maybe even pull the flywheel to see if something got in there. Pretty rare for those coils to go out. If so they should be all around if you put the word out.

Ok I found out that the external coil ohms out within spec. I went to the local dealer and was told that the internal coil could be the problem. How hard it is to pull the flywheel? I am told that the internal coil is in there and that is what i need to get to. I also have a ohm reading to check for that. 275 ohms on a br and black wire. That is what I am up against next. What do you guys think? What about a cdi do they go bad? Does anyone have manual for a inviter?

Ok guys I have check the external coil(I even bought a new one!!!!!) and the pick up coil and that is with in spec, i also have eliminated the tors and that is not causing the no spark issue...I have a couple new plugs. I have check the cut off switch on the handle bar!!!!! The only things that I have left are the cdi and the ignition switch that I can think of. Oh I also check the fuse next to the battery. My battery is dead.......it should run with out it right???? I am at a loss here..grounds look good!!!!!!!! Anyone have any ideas???? How do I check the cdi??? I am going to unplug the ignition switch and see if it will fire!!!! Please help....I don't have a manual or a wiring diagram....anyone have one??

Well I spent 45 min up at the local dealer talking to a mech and I have some more testing to do on the stator............I was told before that the pickup coil is the one that always goes out........but this time I have the specs for the charge coil and that is what i am going to test. red/white wire.........I can't believe i have went through this much screwing around and come to find out that it really good chance it is the charge coil after all:) The sled was alway run by a family member with a low battery!!!!!!! I am guessing that he burned her up by having it try to charge up the battery always its whole life!!!! Still have to test the ignition yet.......I also was told that I can't test the cdi so.......I have narrowed my searching down to the cdi, charge coil and the ignition. One way or the other I am going to fix this thing.....But with the rain that is coming I don't know if there will be time for running it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great write up
I’m having now having the same issues with one I just picked up. I’m only getting 1.5 ohms across white/red and the other 4 wires. Nothing across the red wire. Got any pointers for me?

Back