1 1/4" track in 02 Viper

SpartaSXr

Troops,

I am installing a 1 1/4" track and looking at the protectors under the sled, the fronts are welded in and so are the rears. I think I need to grind them off for the track to fit right ? Also the top ones need to be removed.
Curious if the track will control well enough on the ice choked corners of the midwest . Is there a stud lenghth I can use with out protectors on a 1 1/4 track and still be safe in the icy corners ? I know I want the best of both worlds. Heck thats why I am asking !!! :rockon:

You need to pull the heat exchanger protectors and the tunnel protectors to run the 1.25 or cut lugs down a little on the clip. To run studs with this track you need to go to 8 tooth drivers so you can keep all the above in place.

You will need to install 8 tooth drivers and then change your sprockets in your chain case to compensate.. Good luck..

Install the track, you will need to trim two lugs yet to get the driveshaft in, after that install the rest of the suspension and run the sled some with the track moving. It will wear it's own groove in the track. By leaving all the protectors in you can now still stud, but carefully, as you don't want too go too long. I'm sure if you contact Woody's they have a recommendation for a 1.25" track!

1 1/4" Track

I have looked into this and if you are not going to stud the track the ripsaw will fit with no prob. This is what I have been told for my 03 viper. If I had to stud the track I would look at the 1" Camo track (not the finger) and stud that, that way I think you would not have to sweat the stud length I also want to put the 1 1/4" ripsaw on my sled ( it is said to be the track of choise for hard pack trails). :WayCool:

You need to replace both.I'm putting a ripsaw on very soon.Say like after the novi show!as for studding change the drivers if your gonna stud.

spec, it is pretty tight by the front heat exchanger just with the 1.25, for your studs to do anygood you should go 1/4 above track. that makes it pretty darn close. Your track would have to be real tight to make sure of no trap slap when you are hard on the throttle then nail the brakes. Not arguing with you, I know you have way more experience with sleds than i do. just would be to close for my comfort level.

be really carefull cutting those protectors off the exchanger. one wrong slip and you'll be pulling the motor and welding up an exchanger, go slow be patient. i slowly ground the bottom weld till it was close to being cut through, stuck a longhandle prybar in bottom of protector tube and pulled with a quick snap and broke both top and bottom welds free. just be carefull. if you need studs with the 1.25 you'll need 8 tooth drivers and new gears and chains as said above. the track will fit in there but it is tight with the exchanger protectors in place. you can pull them and not run studs, or leave them in and cut the lugs that hit (or let them hit and wear in). or you can go the 8 tooth route. you have to ask how important are studs to your riding. ski

I just put a ripsaw on my '02. I did as skidooboy suggested. Grind very carefully the welds on the front heat exchanger until they are slightly loose. I then gently hit them with a hammer and they came right off.

I did remove the tunnel protectors too. Didn't seem like enough room to leave them on...

I've had an 1 1/4" predator track on my old vmax and loved it. I ride in MN and WI for the most part. Unless you are on glare ice - I woud say the 1 1/4" track hooks up better than a studded track.

I have an 1.25 on my 02

love it, you shouldnt need studs... the only time i wish i had studs is the occaisional grip and rip down a backroad or bare ice... otherwise, you wont miss the studs, and easier on the trailer, garage floor, etc... i have the cone design camo on her now, am changing to a 136 ripsaw after this weekend.. novi (thanks port yami)

Thanks for the replies. I wanted some different choices and you guys have layed them out for me. Thanks for the tip on the front exchanger protectors also. They look touchy to begin with. As always this site rocks !!! :rocks: :rockon:

Skidooboy,
Did you go with studs too?
As u know i'm doing the same 136 extn and have not yet decided on studs. My only issue is when riding in MN & WI and encountering an unexpected icey corner when riding agressively and your in the woods.

So Ski,
What did you end up getting Viper, SRX or Viper to be a companion to the MXZ440?
And what is your criteria for which you will ride on a particular day or trail.

Will I be safe with a 1.25" iceripper track and an Expert X suspension with the protectors removed?

Back