1000' radar run 78 or 80 srx ?

SRX freek

I have a chance to run in a 1000' radar run.I have a 78 and 80 SRX. Which sled would fair better, they'er both stock, I only can take one sled? I think either one is gonna be wound tight long before 1000'. This is a single sled speed only run, not side by side. They haven't set classes yet ,waiting to see what shows up.It's not advertised as vintage so it's gonna be mostly new modern sleds, I just thought I'd go and have some fun with the vintage iron. What kind of speed should I expect from either sled? Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

RUN THE 78. USE GOOD FUEL. 80 SKID FRAME MIGHT SCUFF SPEED SLIGHTLY. RUN 18-29 GEARING. SPEEDS COULD SURPRIZE YA. I BELIEVE BACK IN THE DAY, I RAN MY 1979 SRX ON RADER IN 1000 F.T. AND I BELIEVE I RAN AROUND 90. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Last edited:
Hell ya Do as yammie god says. Its too cool having them show up, cuz yeah, every once in awhile when one of them drops in, on the right day, right conditions, and shocks the hell out of everybody! Makes me giggle. G.

bring the 80 too. i once brought my 76 JOHN DEERE LIQUIDATOR 340 to a radar run, i never raced it, just parked it and let people drewl over it....

It's funny,I couldn't get many to drive the 78 SRX! They didn't like the high clutch engagement! I always told them to hold on tight! I show up to a radar run with my 84 vmax and they laugh and ask how old is that sled? ;)!

Back