79 SRX Info

racerrob6m

What was the color scheme for the 79 Vintage?

Did the gold tunnel 1st show up in 80 ???

Also, what was the HP on a "stock" twin pipe set up?

The SN on the tunnel: 8J0-004734

Number on the motor: R1439 004734

Owner of 20 years claims it to be completely stock.
He says the left side front aluminum bumper casting is cracked, but bumper is straight, tunnel is straight, track has never been pic'd, some fine hairline spider cracks in the hood.

He says the odometer reads 6532 KM ( 4207 miles) & that motor has never been opened since he has had it. He says it has been stored indoors all these years. He has ridden it a few times the last few years & did ride it a month ago. The guy is a retired fella, 65 yrs old so I am guessing not some BS type guy etc. Says it sounds real good & runs strong.

Any idea on value on a unit that is represented as completely original ???

I have not seen it up close & personal, will do that later tomorrow.
While I do not need another sled at this point....( wife will shoot me !!)
This might be a good deal for a not wrecked or screwed with 30 yr old SRX.
Hmmmm....??

Any input here is appreciated.

Here are 2 pics of it:

Attachments

• SRX CList.jpg
    SRX CList.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 167
  • SRX 1 CList.jpg
    SRX 1 CList.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 167

I BOUGHT MY 79 SRX BRAND NEW ROB AND STILL OWN TODAY. I,LL ANSWER YA RIGHT DOWN THE LINE OF YOUR QUESTIONS.
1. THATS A 79 IN THAT PICTURE BLACK HOOD, RED STRIPES, GOLD '' SRX AND L/C ''. ON HOOD. YAMAHA LOGO ON THE SIDE IN WHITE.
2. 1980 SRX WAS GOLD
3. 80 hp @ 8800 /9000
4. THAT CORRECT NUMBER FOR 79 SRX
5. SHOULD BE RT NOT R1.
AFEW ITEMS. THAT SEAT IN ONE PICTURED HERE BEEN RECOVERD. THESE WERE A GREAT SLED. PROBLEY MY FAVORITE YAMAHA OF ALL TIME. THEY ARE VERY HARD TO FIND TODAY. MANY DID NOT MAKE IT. VERY VERY FAST SLEDS IN THEIR DAY. PRICE DEPENDS ON CONDITION. PARTS ARE HARD TO FIND. THOSE BUMPERS NEXT TO INPOSSIBLE, SONE ARE REPRODUCEING THEM THOUGH. THE SIDE BOOTS, SMOKE WINDSHIELD AND BELLY PAN ALL HARD ITEMS. GOOD LUCK. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Last edited:
Cool & Thanks

Hey Tony:
Was hoping you would chime in here. I thought you were way up on these old girls.

I am guessing the R1 is really RT & he had a hard time reading it. He read it to me while we were on the phone.

I will be looking the ole girl over tomorrow afternoon & who knows, I might get a beating when I get him if I pick it up.

If it is as nice as it sounds & the guy seems straight about everything, I am afraid I will be "forced to do it" LOL!!

Hey were these oil injected or pre- mixed fuel?
He says he has only run pre-mix since he got it in 88.
Hmmm?

Thanks, Rob

1979 WAS LAST YEAR OF PRE-MIX ON THE SRX. I BELIEVE YAMAHA CALLED OUT LIKE 20:1 BACK IN THE DAY. I CUT THAT BACK TO 32:1 WITH NO ISSUES. HELL TODAY GOOD OILS YOU COULD PROBLEY BE SAFE AT 40:1. THE 1980 SRX WAS FIRST OIL-INJECTED SRX. LET ME KNOW IF YA BUY THIS AND NEED ANYMORE INFO. 3:16 (yammie tony)

you can always use the line i do "its not mine, im just keeping it here for a wile" hahah

Big Kid- ROFLMAO !!!

I will try this line if I buy it...
but...I doubt she will "buy it" !! :rofl:

SRX Jetting ??

Hey Tony:
What are the jetting rules for these old SRX's?

Dont have it yet, will see it this afternoon, not sure what he has in it yet.

But my riding will be in the 3,500-4,500' area.
Of course, if I get it, it will ONLY be small rides & maybe a "vintage ride" a few times a year.

Thanks, Rob

IF YA DO BY THIS, WE THAN CAN RIP INTO JETTING. MY GUESS ITS STOCK BY THE WAY YOU EXPLAINED. THESE WERE ACTUALLY 36 mm POWERJET CARBS, YOU WILL NOTICE ENRICH DIAL ON THE BOTTOM. I BELIEVE STOCK WAS 340 M.j. with a 80 power jet. MORE THAN SAFE. I ACTUALLY CHANGED MINE TO 310 MAINS WITH THE 80 POWER JET, WORK REAL NICE. ANOTHER THING ROB MOST BACK IN THE DAY SWAP THE YAMAHA PRIMARY FOR A COMET. HUGE PERFORMANCE UPGRADE THERE, AND ALOT MORE TUNEING OPTIONS, BUT LIKE YOU SAY, LEAVE IT STOCK, RUN GREAT. 3:16 (yammie tony)
I HAVE EVERY BIT OF INFO YAMAHA EVER PUT OUT THAT SLED, SERVICE MANUAL , SHOP MANUAL, PARTS MANUAL. OWNERS MANUAL, TECH MANUAL, DEALER BROCHRE etc. any spec ya need, let me know.

Last edited:
Did not buy it..yet!!

Hey Tony:
Thanks for the info, I will keep it in mind.

W/O boring details, sled was not quite as good as hoped, but not completely bad either.

I will detail later what I saw & then go from there. Runs nice, is 99.9% complete, but does need some work too.

Will go thru this with details over the weekend & see what ya think.

Rob

I bought mine a little rough and fixed her up. Also have brochures/service manuals etc. Tonnes of fun.

Attachments

• Srx Small 10.JPG
    Srx Small 10.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Srx Small 6.JPG
    Srx Small 6.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Srx Small 3.JPG
    Srx Small 3.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 7

Back