98 srx 700

tommey66

Ok so I just bought a 98 srx 700 from my cousin. A fast m-10 rear skid was installed along with a blt 10y front suspension kit. It has an aftermarket can installed(not sure of brand no name on it) and a comet clutch, purple spring. Modified air box, crank was fixed. Lower radius rods were broke and he just wanted to get rid of it. I have the stock can and clutch also an attachable 2nd rider seat. 1 1/4 track with 96 studs and tunnel protecters. I took it out for a ride today and have lots of questions. It seems real boggy from idle to pinned ( not the take off I had hoped for), Not crisp. Clutch side plug was wet and dark others were cardboard brown. Idle seems low(1100-1200), headlight is real dim until you get on the throttle. Can somebody give me the best set up for 660' radar runs and what else do I need to do to make this $500.00 sled be all she can be.

Before we can talk radar runs. We need to find out out why your sled runs poorly. have you checked compression on each cylinder? If so what were the readings. if compression is ok we need to look at the carbs. Let see what your compression is first. should be 125 psi per cylinder. you can send me a pm.

You have a fouled plug & it,s running on 2 cylinders. I think if you can,t figure out a bad plug clutching might be slightly over your head.
Does it need clutching?
M-10 will be way down on top end vs stock rear skid no matter what u do.

i would fire it up let it run for less than a minute shut it off then feel the pipes to determine if that cyl. is dead put new plugs in and retest probly a fouled plug and if so you will want to determine why it fouled a plug .carbs may need to be cleaned.

The 98-99 srx,s had a funky starting procedure. If not started properly you would foul 1-2 plugs every time.
Don,t touch throttle till sled is warmed up. Use only the choke & blip it on & off till sled runs smoothly. Touching the throttle when the sled is cold instantly fouls a plug.

Back