tuning 1978 exciter clutch

338gpx

can someone explain the purpose of each of the 3 holes in the clutch and how does putting rivets in each hole affect engagment and shift rpm
thanks

The holes control how fast or slow your machine shifts. more holes filled slower it will shift and possibly lowering total rpm. visversa the other way.

is the hole closest to the pivot pin more for top end control or off intial throt and middle hole for middle acceleration and the farthest hole for top end control?

yes sorta, There is a ton of things that work together with the yamaha clutch. it is easier if you state what you are trying to do with the sled first. The hole closest to the pin does a smalll bit, the hole out on the end has a greater affect.

i'm trying this clutch on my stock 338 gpx with the weight that i have in there a "n "weight with a yamaha brown/white spring the engagement is around 4000 and the shift is about 7600 i have rivots on the end and middle holes the weights weight about 49 grams i would like a higher engagement and higher shift because there is a hesitation off the line on full acceleration and the shift needs to be high from what the guru's say around 8000

take your rivets out, run your sled . if the rpm are too high go down 1 spring. or if it is not picking up speed fast enough(gaining mph), but runnig correct rpm go down 1 size in roller from where you are at. after you change roller if you have to, your rpm may be slightly lower again, go up 1 on spring.
you will have to power brake the sled to 5000 rpm for proper take off. If you set your engagement totaly with spring the sled will not shift hard enough in the mid range of the track. You may have to cut notches in your weights to achive your goal. PM with further questions.

Back