79 srx lower end will it hold up as good as 77

rambo3010

i want to know if i can build a 79 lower end into a fast drag sled motor.can i put the 77 upper end on.i know the bolt holes are smaller from reading on here.im reading every thing i can about srx's. i just bought a 79 & had a 76 with a 79 motor witch made a fun trail sled lots of looks.any way i want to finde parts & build a drag motor.i have one running motor & 2 more parts motors to start with, both 79s.is there a sutch thing as a 500 big bore for 79 srx.

Yep you can put a 77 top end on and not notice a difference. I would just save the 77 top end and mod the 79 top end. And yes, there were places building big bore kits back in the day.

rambo3010 said:
i want to know if i can build a 79 lower end into a fast drag sled motor.can i put the 77 upper end on.i know the bolt holes are smaller from reading on here.im reading every thing i can about srx's. i just bought a 79 & had a 76 with a 79 motor witch made a fun trail sled lots of looks.any way i want to finde parts & build a drag motor.i have one running motor & 2 more parts motors to start with, both 79s.is there a sutch thing as a 500 big bore for 79 srx.

I heard from a reliable source (Scott wohlfiel of Wohlfiel racing Saginaw, MI who won pro stock 500 twice @ the world series of ice drags) that making an srx into a 500 just doesn't work out, at least it didn't for them...

Dont waste your time with a 440 punched to 500 unless your willing to spend about $2500 in new pipes and a bunch of dyno time, and you still might not see a difference in power. I asked Delaughter to build me one 5 years ago he said was waste of time for the money when you can buy tuning parts for the 440 and still beat the 500 , Dynofun knows more about this than me he is the guy to ask.

I HAD A 78 BOTTOM, 77 MIDDLE, AND SSR TOP lol. PRO STOCK / MOD SRX THAT WORKED AWSOME. SO YES THAT WILL WORK. 3:16 (yammie tony)

yamaha one said:
Dont waste your time with a 440 punched to 500 unless your willing to spend about $2500 in new pipes and a bunch of dyno time, and you still might not see a difference in power. I asked Delaughter to build me one 5 years ago he said was waste of time for the money when you can buy tuning parts for the 440 and still beat the 500 , Dynofun knows more about this than me he is the guy to ask.
Yam One is exactly right. You would have to spend a fortune using todays computor programs for porting and pipe design before it would be better. But hey, guys do it every day for current drag racers. Why not a vintage? :)

Back