April 3rd Snowmobiling in the Cascades

racerrob6m

So, not wanting to hijack a few of the other "late snomo riding" threads & pics, I thought I would add this thread. We are fortunate here in the central OR Cascades to have recieved a number of cool fronts & subsequent spring snow.

So, here are a few pics from Friday afternoon when my wife & I took the old girls out, (her 93 Phazer II, my 94 Vmax4 St) & we had probably the best ride of the year as conditions were absolutely perfect. Temps in the 20's, & as you can see, great powder, some clouds but pretty good skies when looking east from the Cascades.

Powder was anyhwere from 15-25" deep & if you werent careful as shown in a few pics of Barbs Phazer, ya could get er stuck..LOL !!! :o|

The 1st pics show the truck & trailer in what we call the upper snowmo parking lot, which is 27 miles from our house. And you can see there is still a fair amount of snow. We are at the base of Mt Bachelor which has a base right now of around 140-165". Total so far this snow season is just under 500", yes 500". Altititudes run from 6200-7500' where we ride in the spring like this.

Attachments

• Truck & Trailer 1 TY.JPG
    Truck & Trailer 1 TY.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Sno Park & South Sister TY.JPG
    Sno Park & South Sister TY.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Backside of Moon Mtn 1 TY.JPG
    Backside of Moon Mtn 1 TY.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Backside of Moon Mtn 3 TY.JPG
    Backside of Moon Mtn 3 TY.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 8

More Cascade ride pics

These are from a "knob" we call Checkpoint 1, You can almost see Kansas from here!! LOL

Most of the views are looking N East, East & S East.

The areas with lots of open area & no trees is designated Wilderness, so, ya better not get caught making tracks out there!! Huge F***ing fine !!!

And of course, there would be some awesome riding out there & I defy ANYONE to come back in the middle of the summer & find our tracks..but I digress...Damn ECO NUTS !!

Attachments

• Checkpoint 1 TY.JPG
    Checkpoint 1 TY.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 5
  • Checkpoint 4 TY.JPG
    Checkpoint 4 TY.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 3
  • Checkpoint 6 TY.JPG
    Checkpoint 6 TY.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Checkpoint 2 TY.JPG
    Checkpoint 2 TY.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Checkpoint 3 TY.JPG
    Checkpoint 3 TY.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 2
Phazer II in trouble !!

So, here we have the wifes Phazer II getting, as she put it, "off the trail".
Well, there was no trail & she got "sucked" out my tracks & was headed for the tree wells & really deep stuff!! Had to give her a bit of a hard time!!LOL

Attachments

• Lost Phazer 1 TY.JPG
    Lost Phazer 1 TY.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Lost Phazer 3 TY.JPG
    Lost Phazer 3 TY.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 8
Playing in the meadows !!

Some really nice meadows & powder to play in !!

Attachments

• Powder Field 3 TY.JPG
    Powder Field 3 TY.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 4
  • Powder Field 1 TY.JPG
    Powder Field 1 TY.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Powder Field 4 TY.JPG
    Powder Field 4 TY.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Powder Field 5 TY.JPG
    Powder Field 5 TY.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Powder Field 6 TY.JPG
    Powder Field 6 TY.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 2
And with all the riding, one does get a little thirsty & as the biggest importer of one of my favorite native WI beers, we had to stop & share a Leinies!!

I am kidding about the importer part, we do pick it up when we make trips back to WI as you cannot get it out here!! We drink it sparingly...LOL !!

Attachments

• Beer 30 & Leinies ! TY.JPG
    Beer 30 & Leinies ! TY.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Beer 30 & Leinies Barb 1 TY.JPG
    Beer 30 & Leinies Barb 1 TY.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Snowy Trees 1 TY.JPG
    Snowy Trees 1 TY.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 2
And a few final shots

We unloaded at 4:30pm, & loaded back up around 8pm, just before dark.
Put on roughly 50 miles & had a great time. Not bad for April 3rd & hopefully, we will keep the deep base for awhile & can ride until late April or early May!!

Here are few final shots as we cruised back down a freshly groomed trail which in the summer is the main road thru this area for fishing & camping. Of course right now it has roughly 10' of snow it.

Heres hoping for some good spring riding!! ;)!

Attachments

• South Sister 3 TY.JPG
    South Sister 3 TY.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 1
  • South Sister 4 TY.JPG
    South Sister 4 TY.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 3
  • South Sister 5 TY.JPG
    South Sister 5 TY.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 5
  • South Sister 6 TY.JPG
    South Sister 6 TY.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 1
  • South Sister 7 TY.JPG
    South Sister 7 TY.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for the great memories use to live in Easton WA love the spring time riding in the Cascades. Nothing like t-shirt riding in May. Hopefully will get back there someday to ride. It is Beautiful

Yep, mtnmaxman600, since we are natives of eastern WI, I know what you are saying. We moved to OR in 85 & really like the spring riding season. The snow has settled so that there is a good solid base & you can go just about anywhere. That & like you say, riding in shirts or light sweaters as the weather warms.

The latest I ever rode out here was July 7th, & it was pushing the conditions, we went way high just to say we did it. It was not great but it was a milestone for me, latest I ever did ride!!

Regarding the groomed trail, yes, the one picture does show us on a groomed trail.

Glad you guys like the pics. Hope to ride again this weekend, temps are a bit warm now, but its supposed to cool again & maybe some snow above 5,000'.

Will see. Rob

Back