PREDESCESSOR TO THE 73 SR's

YAMAHABUNCH

Website
www.kochsperformance.com
I WAS TALKING WITH A FRIEND OF MINE THAT USED TO BE A RACER FOR YAMAHA IN THE EARLY 70's AND HE SAID THAT AT THE END OF THE 72 SEASON THEY PUT A YAMAHA MOTOR IN A SKIROULE AND RACED IT AT WEST YELLOWSTONE. HE ALSO SAID IT HAD A SWIST GRIP THROTTLE THAT HE HATED, HE ALSO SAID THAT THEY DID NOT DO WELL WITH IT
BUT I FINALLY GOT A PICTURE OF IT AND I AM AMAZED AT HOW MUCH IT RESEMBLES THE 73 SR. ANYWAY I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST SOMETHING KINDA COOL

Attachments

• skiyama (2).jpg
    skiyama (2).jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 27

Could be --I would be surprised to see a SKIROULE with that look..if they were even around.

Hopefully a SKIROULE expert will help us out with that sled?

Yamaha has always seemed to be way ahead of the other mfrs when it came to engineering. The most efficient layout to get power from the engine to the ground and have the entire sled be more durable than others. When I saw the 72 race roule at the sled show at the races in Rochester MN 2 years ago,I was beside myself. Many features of that sled where of Yamaha origination. Or so I thought. I looked every bit of that sled over for a long time and have pictures. I even wondered if Yam got some of the ideas from Roule. Now you come up with this... I heard of it sometime back and wondered about the connection. Now seeing the picture, I have to wonder what it all means. Did Yam help Roule or did Roule influence Yam?

dynofun said:
Yamaha has always seemed to be way ahead of the other mfrs when it came to engineering. The most efficient layout to get power from the engine to the ground and have the entire sled be more durable than others. When I saw the 72 race roule at the sled show at the races in Rochester MN 2 years ago,I was beside myself. Many features of that sled where of Yamaha origination. Or so I thought. I looked every bit of that sled over for a long time and have pictures. I even wondered if Yam got some of the ideas from Roule. Now you come up with this... I heard of it sometime back and wondered about the connection. Now seeing the picture, I have to wonder what it all means. Did Yam help Roule or did Roule influence Yam?

Hey dynofun
I would sure like to see your pics
Leon

Last edited:
Neat stuff. I never heard of this sled before! Looks like a Roule chassis and hood with Yammy mechanicals. Thats definetly a 72 SR seat and tank. Very strange.

The 643 in the background looks like its got a pretty neat windshield too, kinda like the modern ones. G.

Whoa! On closer examination, there is three sleds in this last pic. Directly beside the yammyroule, there is a 72 SR 643, on the other side of that with the windshield I can't make it out. G.

Back