Nuvi 500 (not)

sleeper

I just bought a nuvi 500 gps to take the place of my 60C on my Apex. What I didn't know till I got it is it will not show tracks on the map screen. It will not show any of my snowmobile trail data at all. It does show all the pitstops, places to stay, and fuel stop waypoints though. I am very disappointed guess I will just stick with my 60C, it works great just can see it very will while moving. Another lesson learned the hard way. (I hate it when that happens)
Sleeper :o|

What designation 500 did you buy? The NUVI 500 & 550 shouldn't have any trouble displaying trail maps, as they both have mapping capabilities...did you try the trail maps from GPSSledMaps.com? I know others have had issues getting the free maps to display, but the premium maps have worked fine...

-Mark

Nuvi 500 and Mapping - Help Requested

I just ordered the Nuvi 500 to replace my GPSV. I also ordered the SledGPS North East - SD/microSD Card for Garmin. I knew (or suspected) that there was no track capability in the NUVI 500 but there is something called Trackback which I dont know yet how it will work.

I am well aware that these maps from SLED GPS do not have all the trails which I have captured using the track feature but they do have the main state and interconnecting trails.

There must be a program which will convert Garmin GPS track data into a Garmin map which we could then use on the newer garmin units.

Can anyone out there help us out with this conversion.

We tried a Nuvi 500 (don't know which one) and decided it wasn't well suited to snowmobiling. Driving in a car it is great however. I am looking at an Oregon, but this new one from Lowrance that shows satellite pictures is intriguing.

crewchief47 said:
Can the 500 be put into 2D mode and have the trails show up (don't even know if it has a 2D mode)? Just a fleeting idea to try.......

Yes, the Nuvi 500 can be put in 2D mode with track up or north up. It does show your tracks from the last 10 or so tracks but then it over writes the oldest track. The tracks can be downloaded to mapsource or ExpertGPS or other maping software but they can not be reloaded back onto the Nuvi 500 from any software I have tried yet.

crewchief47 said:
Can the 500 be put into 2D mode and have the trails show up (don't even know if it has a 2D mode)? Just a fleeting idea to try.......
For my nuvi to show the trail maps I have I need to go in to "tools", then "settings" and then to "map". Select "Map Info" and then disable all other mapping programs but the snowmobile maps. As far as mapping your own trails, I haven't figured that out yet.
Tom

I have found the same thing as Tom. For the NUVI to show other maps such as the sledgps.com maps or the maps I have downloaded from Garmin, it is required to go to mapinfo and select only the map you want to use. If you leave the preloaded maps selected, the other will not be visible.

I am looking to buy a GPS, Which ones are preferred.. Used only for snowmobiling, I need something that will let me see and store "new tracks" I do alot of boondocking in the UP, and summer 4 wheeling.. Any opinions would be great..
I heard 1 unit also would link up with others of the same and you cold see each other in real time?? Anyone know what this brand model this is??

DV8 said:
I am looking to buy a GPS, Which ones are preferred.. Used only for snowmobiling, I need something that will let me see and store "new tracks" I do alot of boondocking in the UP, and summer 4 wheeling.. Any opinions would be great..
I heard 1 unit also would link up with others of the same and you cold see each other in real time?? Anyone know what this brand model this is??

I believe that's one of the Garmin Rino models. For off-road only most guys love the Garmin GPSMAP 60SCx but you'll find lots of opinions.

If it was me and only for off-road, I'd go 60SCx. But most guys like myself use the GPS in the car as well so we have to make more compromises. My StreePilot 2610 is great at everything except for: Weight(it's heavy at around 1 Lb), bread crumbing(only 500 points held) and rendering TOPO maps is kinda slow on it. But it is an autorouting GPS for the road so.......

DV8 said:
I been looking a the Garmin Oregon line. The 400t (I think) is the one that seems the best suited to snowmobiling as long as it is kept warm. I think it is Lowrance that has a new one that show aerial photos downloaded for wherever you are. I didn't get enough time to research this option yet. It is easy to recognize as it is Orange or Yellow and has a bulge out the back.

Back