St Germain Show

YAMAHABUNCH

Website
www.kochsperformance.com
Had A Huge Day At The Vintage Snowmobile Show At St Gremain
First Is A Pic Of Mike Trapp Sitting On My 71 Sr 433 Which Has The Enginie That He Won The 71 World Championship In It
Second Is Wayne Trapp Reunited With His 75 Pdc Gpx 338 For The First Time Since 1975 And Last But Not Least Is 2 Helmets That Wayne Has Loaned Me One Is From When He Grass Dragged His 72 Sr292 And The Other Is From The 71 Season When He Finished Second At Eagle River
Pretty Cool Hey!!!!

Attachments

• MIKE 09.jpg
    MIKE 09.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 18
  • WAYNE SIGNING.jpg
    WAYNE SIGNING.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 17
  • waynes helmets (3).jpg
    waynes helmets (3).jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 11

Wow! I would have loved to been there. Looks like Mike is wearing a pretty good grin.

I have a lead on a 72 SR right now and was wondering if I should pick it up or not. I don't know what size it is. The seat is missing, can't tell if the tank is there and the hood looks like your 292. Either that, or the bottom scoop is just been removed as there is a piece of plywood there covering the hole. I haven't called on it yet, everytime I think of it I worry that there's not much point, I won't be able to find the parts I need to restore it. What say ye?

I love the old girls, my first sled was a then new SL 338, then two years later I got a used 71 SS 433. I took it to the Wetaskiwin Races in Alberta one year and was hanging around the yamaha trailer quite a bit. This guy came over and started talking to me, looking at my sled, then the next thing you know, he's tuning it for me! Took me in the trailer and gave me handfuls of used SR belts, saying they changed them after every race and never used them again anyway. Gave me an SR clutch spring that engaged at 5500 rpm, plugs, all kinds of goodies.

I bought a new SR track for it as per his recomendation, put in the clutch spring and went back home to my small town and kicked everybodies butt with it! That guy, as it turns out was Bob Work!

I have a nice 433 project sled, I suppose if nothing else I can use the aluminum SR chassis for it. What do you think it would be worth? Any suggestions for parts? Thanks. G.

Thats the guy. Thats funny. I'd totally forgotten about those bags, can't recall how many I emptied!

I shook his hand and thanked him at the time, though it just didn't seem like enough to me. I went racing in the years after that and did quite well locally, winning total points in 340 superstock on my GPX sponsered by a local dealer. Sat in the trailer at Wetaskiwin and drank beer one night with Roy Wall and Larry Omans after the race and was told that I was one of the guys Bob was watching for possible future use. I wondered then, if he new I was the kid he helped out with the SS. Unfortunately the economics of a baby boy arriving, to a then 19 year old father, ended my racing career. But I always wanted to thank him again. His contribution converted many of my friends to Yamaha after eating that SS's snow dust, and of course made me a very happy camper in the winners circle.

Interesting to note that in my first season (74) of racing (professionally) on my 74 GP 433, In testing, I discovered that my old SS flat out spanked the GP, so took it to race intent on using it instead. They refused to allow it to run! After much heated debate in which I destroyed all of their arguements, the race officials finally took me inside and stated in no uncertain terms that it simply was NOT going to happen, then admitted to me that the reason they could not allow it to run was, because they new it would win! They were correct as I was already winning on the GP! They also did not want to have to explain to a bunch of irate fans why there was a piped sled running (winning) with all the 440 fan cooleds!! Lol I don't know what they were complaining about, I put the baffles in!

Where ever you are Bob, I hope you're doing well, those Klaws probably aren't very good the digestive system. Thank-you again. G.

Last edited:
Cool stories Gorkon. Yes the 71 SS433 was a legend. It was the first Yamaha I ever rode back in the spring of 1971. In the fall of 72 we had a new GP433. It was very fast,but the SS was faster. I've been on Yamha's ever since.
If you don't want that SR,I'll take it!!

Mark

I'm gonna go look at it and make up my mind. I'll let you know if I decide not to take it.

Back then my best friend rode a 72 GP 433 and when he first got it, it was about dead even with my SS. But not after Bob got through with it, the SS was clearly faster and after I installed the clutch spring and the SR track, it was all over for the GP. I just killed him out of the hole and then with being a little faster to boot, it was a done deal!

I've got a 72 GP 433 project sled that I'm going to build as a tribute to my old SS. Everytime I look at it, I'm blown away by how small it is! Can't wait to set the old 433 aside and squeeze the 485 in there! G.

Back