Westach coolant temp gauges

fourbarrel

VIP Lifetime Member
I think I'll add this mod to my list this year and add a coolant temp gauge but would like to know the if anyone is using the Westach one.I've looked at the Koso one but am not sold on the battery idea for it's power source,cold temps tend to run down a battery quicker and I have a feeling I'd be looking at a dead battery all too often.
A bud of mine put an Autometer one in his Warrior and it seemed to work good but the Westach one is made for sleds,or so the add says,so I'm thinking it will hold up better to the pounding.Plus it's cheaper than than the Autometer gauge.
I know I'll have to buy a rectifier and sending unit for the Westach but I would like some opinions on what you guys have used and had good luck with.

Last edited:

I dont no anything about the newer gauges.But back in 90 when i was doing up my exciter i installed a temp gauge that is a simple probe type that screwed into a lenth of alunimun pipe that will slide into a rad hose.So it looks like a t and the reducer for the probe is tig welded in.Large pipe foam works good under the gauge mount for viabration.

Its still on the sled and in working order.Last time i looked (its been awhile)

fourbarrel said:
I think I'll add this mod to my list this year and add a coolant temp gauge but would like to know the if anyone is using the Wetach one.I've looked at the Koso one but am not sold on the battery idea for it's power source,cold temps tend to run down a battery quicker and I have a feeling I'd be looking at a dead battery all too often.
A bud of mine put an Autometer one in his Warrior and it seemed to work good but the Westach one is made for sleds,or so the add says,so I'm thinking it will hold up better to the pounding.Plus it's cheaper than than the Autometer gauge.
I know I'll have to buy a rectifier and sending unit for the Westach but I would like some opinions on what you guys have used and had good luck with.

I installed one on my 500 and 600 Polaris'. Both were capilary tube type and I found with the 500 the wire wrapped tube doesn't like to be bent too much. I had the gauge mounted on the dash pod and opening the hood eventually cracked the tube. I swapped the idiot light sender with the bulb at the cyclinder head.

I mounted a Stewart/Warner gauge on the 600 next to the ignition key which eliminated the tube cracking. I wanted to keep the idiot light so I ended up making a copper manifold that replaced a chunck of cooling hose that flowed out of the mono cylinder head cover. Quick note: I polished the copper and used a lacquer clear coat then baked it in the oven. It turned a cool bronze color and held up against corrosion very well and was still working and looking good 6 or 7 years later. Also note, the tube is not easily modifyable so I coiled the excess next to the chaincase. Note too that the location I selected for the gauge didn't help when I put a stud through the front HX. Without the idiot light, I would've warped some things.

I too have been thinking of adding a temp gauge on my '01. I believe there is a place on the coolant manifold near the exsisting idiot light sender that might allow for the use of both a gauge and light. I think there is welch plug that could be pulled, tapped and used for the sender.

I'd like to mount the gauge next to the speedo where it seems a two inch gauge would be a natural. I picked capilary tube type in the past because of thier fast acting abilities but would settle for an electric type so as not to have any issues with cracking the capilary tube.

Sorry fourbarrel, didn't mean to highjack your thread, but I too would like to see feedback from others.

i have a daytona on mine ...and a koso on my banshee ...the daytone is nicer it has a internal battery but still requires to be hooked to a power source for the back round light to work ..on my sled the collant rail has been drilled and tapped to accept the sensor

I put a koso on my prostock. The batteries last longer then you think. I even left it on a couple of times overnight and I only replaced the battery once last year. The batterys are only a couple of bucks.

I have a Cyberdyne electric gauge on my MM, it has memory too, but only while the sled is on. Still, nice looking I think.

Attachments

• DSC00012.JPG
    DSC00012.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 10
i have the same setup as norwegian on my Viper. No problems and looks great on my sled! Memory recall was nice after WOT on a lake for a few minutes!
DSCN2014.jpg

Back