Heat exchanger protectors

averagesleder

Hello

My brother and I are thinking of studding our tracks on my '98 Vmax XT 500 and on his '00 SRX 700, however both sleds are liquid cooled and will need protectors.

Both sleds have exchangers on the running boards which won't ever come in contact with the track. However my Vmax has a large heat exchanger at the front of the tunnel, same as the srx. The srx also has one at the end of the tunnel. Now that you have the background info my question are as follows

What do heat exchanger protectors look like? Pics would be very great.
How do you install them, rivets? Is it a hard job?
What are the protectors made from?
Can I buy ones made just for my type of sleds?
Whats a name of a company that makes them?

I think thats all my questions for now thanks a lot?
Matt

:2strokes:

The heat exchangers protectors will most-likely be made out of either extruded aluminum tube or out of formed aluminum sheet, as for the rear protectors I have only seen them in formed aluminum. All the protectors that I have seen were mounted with rivets.
I bought mine from Bender Racing years ago. Try Benderracing.com, if you look in the advertiser section you may also be able to find someone who carries them.

averagesleder said:
Hello

My brother and I are thinking of studding our tracks on my '98 Vmax XT 500 and on his '00 SRX 700, however both sleds are liquid cooled and will need protectors.

Both sleds have exchangers on the running boards which won't ever come in contact with the track. However my Vmax has a large heat exchanger at the front of the tunnel, same as the srx. The srx also has one at the end of the tunnel. Now that you have the background info my question are as follows

What do heat exchanger protectors look like? Pics would be very great.
How do you install them, rivets? Is it a hard job?
What are the protectors made from?
Can I buy ones made just for my type of sleds?
Whats a name of a company that makes them?

I think thats all my questions for now thanks a lot?
Matt

:2strokes:
i got a set that are there in canada for a srx ....if you need a set http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55540

1 inch squre aluminum tubing works fine. The rivet to the inside of the tunnel right over the track windows. The srx may have them takea look

yep 2000 srx i think they are already there 98-99 i think didnt have them

i have a pair of OEM heat exchanger protectors from my 2000 sxr 700 if your interested make me an offer

maxdlx said:
1 inch squre aluminum tubing works fine. The rivet to the inside of the tunnel right over the track windows. The srx may have them takea look

I was looking at the SRX and it does have two white plastic strips in the tunnel, are these the factory protectors?

I have a good line on studs for my Vmax, from a fellow board member and was wondering about if the size will work. I was looking in a parts catalog, and its says my lug height is .740" and I should use a .875" stud Now I was looking at my track and the lugs are worn down some will this effect me in any way if I use .875" studs??

I also have 5'' inches of carbide up front, that I put on part way through last season will this change my handling with studs? Do I need more carbide to balance the handling with 96 studs?

Thanks Matt :letitsnow

You may want to take in the limiter strap one hole to help compensate for the little extra push you will get from the studs, or you can buy a larger carbide. Best way is to try it out first how it is, if you find iut pushing in the corners take in the limiter strap, this is a little harder on the hyfaxes but it will save some cost on more carbides. Your call. anyone else have advice, mine may not be the best.

Back