Octane Boosters

moab11

VIP Member
I just bought my first yamaha in a few years(last one was a 79 Enticer 300).

I was looking through the owner's manual, and saw that it recommends 93 octane gas minimum. The best I can buy at the pumps around here is 91, and half the time on the trails 87 is all there is.

I am just wondering what you guys recommend to add to the tank when I can't get good gas, or maybe something to add on a regular basis. And no, i can't carry a gallon or 2 of race gas either. I was thinking either SLP octane booster, or another brand that comes in cylinders in a 4-pack and is pretty easy to carry. I think it is made by penzoil.

Jeff

93 us octane is close to Canadian 91 octane. The octane boost you buy in the cans does squat...don,t waste your money. All they do is some of the better ones will give some good de-icing & stabilize your fuel.

I now live on Paquette Road, just past the Shaw Cable Station. It is just a bit off of Dawson Road(Hwy 102).

Turk, if the 91 is ok, what do I do when the pumps on the trail only have 87. That is my main concern with boosting the octane since I don't have the DCS on my 02.

Jeff

Good quality 87 won,t hurt a stock motor as long s you don,t do any hi-speed long lake runs on cold clear crisp days.

I ran canadian 91 supreme in my viper all last winter with no problems. I didn't need any booster or anything like that. Good luck and enjoy the sled.

There are a couple of ways to measure octane and they are not equal. 93 research octane is equal to 88 R+M/2 octane. R+M/2 is the number at the pumps. I believe the number that you read in the manual is probably a research octane number. What kind of sled do you have?

For the most part octane boosters don't give you much.

Back