9 tooth vs. 8 tooth drivers

SWEDE

Is there much of a efficiency difference between 8 and 9 tooth track drivers?It seems to me in theory that bending the track tighter up front would be a bad thing, is it noticeable in actual use?Also is there much affect in how a machine goes thru the snow with a slightly steeper angle in the front with 8 tooth drivers.Am I over analyzing this stuff?I ask all this because I'm thinking of going to anti-rachet drivers and am trying to decide whether to go 8 or 9 tooth with the eight having some appeal because of the additional clearance it creates.I am currently running a 136" m-10 with a ripsaw and stock drivers, any insights would be much appreciated.

In my opinion it is kind of a mixed bag.

The tighter bend is less efficient, however less clearance causes more air flow restriction. It is really hard to tell if there is a difference because so much is usually changed along with the drivers including the final gear ratio, the track lug, etc. That said, I have read track dyno numbers that showed the difference on a particular series of tests, and it wasn't a major issue.

The approach angle only changes slightly so it isn't much different. I would run the largest drivers you can and still have good clearance based on the track you want to run. Usually if you run 8 tooth drivers, it is because you have to.

Ok thanks guys some good info there now the thing is if I ever want to run studs in my ripsaw or go to a six pitch predator 1" track which I'm told is better in off trail situations which my 136" with simmons skis excells at and still stud with 9 tooth drivers or the 8 tooth with my current setup.Truth be told I've always wanted to try a predator and remember many positive comments about it over the years.

I assume you're talking a 2.52 pitch on your drives. I read somewhere that if you go from a 9 tooth 2.52 to a 8 tooth 3.0 pitch it pretty close to the same diameter and doesn't require gear changes. This way your track has less clips and rods making it lighther.

Back