Sticker shock!!!

It's about the only piece of advise I didn't take from my Mom ("if you can't afford it, don't buy it").

My SRX in '01 was around 8k and I plunked down 2k so a 6k loan didn't hurt so much. Agreed that I've been priced right out a new sled these days and will have to adjust my spending habits (yeah I know, good luck with that) in order to upgrade.

And I have to say I didn't mind riding with my well to do buddies especially when it came time to visit Studio 10 (or was it 8) across the bridge in the Soo. New cast of "talent" from B.C. every two weeks or so... or the imprompto table dancing (homemade bikinis) at the Tumble Inn in Eckerman with licker and dollar bills flowing and before drunk driving went out of fashion.

Ah, the good old days!

I still wish Yamaha would have kept a good 2-stroke in their lineup. If they would have I wouldn't have bought a Polaris. I got a new 800 RMK for 8,500 last year which I did not think was a bad price for a new sled. If Yamaha would have stuck a injected 2-stroke 7-800 in the nytro chassis I would have bought that as long as they had it companably priced. I rode Yamaha for the previous 14 years. I do like my RMK though I can't complain yet. Paying over 10K for a new sled is way out of the question. The manufacturers are pricing themselves out of most peoples price ranges IMO.

There are alot of good deals on sleds, it just takes alot of time to look. I bought an 08 Apex MTX 40th last January for less than 8g's, with no miles, right off the showroom floor. Still is alot of money, but alot less than the 11,xxx msrp most dealers were still asking.
I have an old 98 SRX, with a 780 kit, all done up with skis, 4 window digitron, 151 camo, M7 suspension. Works great, alot of power etc.....BUT when sleds get to a certain age suff starts going wrong, things you normally dont do preventitive maintinence on. This is fine if you always ride right out your back door. If you drive 600 miles, are 20miles from your trailer, in chest deep snow, in a blizard, I will tell you its no fun. The old SRX let me down on 2 trips. Lost a stator once, and lost a fuel pump. That is what pushed me into looking for something different. I dont regret the Apex at all, super fun in the pow, flies down the trail for a mtn sled, wont climb with an XP but not near as bad as most people say. Best of all turn the key and go.
I still have the SRX and love it. Why get rid of it, there not worth anything, and when I want to piss off the neighbors the Hauck stingers go under the hood......BBRRAAAPPP.....BRRRAAAAPPPP.

I went to Nelson's Speed Shop's Sno-motion a couple weeks ago and about chooked on new sled prices. Ski Doo SS 600 or Polaris Shift 600 were each "on sale" for around $6500 each, plus tax & reg. Add studs, a cover and a cool jacket and you have close to $7000 for an "average trail sled." I'm married with children, enough said.

I love the Phazer, but $6000 for 80-ish horse-power?! I selected a 97 SX 700 for $1400 instead.

I would love a rider forward sled (I'm a dirt biker and hear the riding is similar) but I can't justify the big bucks for a toy!

Yamaha: build us a rider-forward with 120-ish hp at $5000 and then you will have something!

Back