97 sx 700 idling problem

jwden4@hotmail.com

i have a 97 sx700 completely stock and great sled. it has always idled high(2500-3000 rpms) and only way to drop is to apply choke to drop. When i do that and turn choke off it creeps right back up. Slight backfire when letting off throttle while running down trail as well. Have cleaned carbs and set to factory specs air/fuel mixture,etc. Nothing aftermarket like pipes,or jetting to cause a lean issue. I have heard that possible crank seal issues but figure engine would have blown by now. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

you are 100% certain that the pilot jets are clean? sounds like a few things....plugged pilots, wrong fuel screw adjustment, and maybe the throttle cable is a little tight. possible that a crank seal is going, but that would show up on plug readings. how do the plugs look?

you have the fuel screws set to 1-1/2 turns out, like the tech pages suggests? if so, and the stock pilot jets are clean, and you have no air leaks, then try 1-3/4 to 1-7/8 turns out on fuel screws.

Did Make Sure Throttle Cable Was Not Issue After Carbs Were Pulled And Cleaned. Positive Not Pilot Jets Knew Importance Of Keeping Them Clean. Did Set At 1.5 Turns From Yamaha Book. Also, Sure No Air Leaks On Intake Side, Ill Try A Little More Turn On Fuel Screws As Well As Starting Fluid Spray At Crank Seal.

hanging idle? maybe the wrong pilot jets. if the pilots were plugged, wouldnt the rpm increase when choking, not decrease? test for seal leakage since your headed that direction. but i would take a look at and record all the components in the carb: pilots, mains, needle setting, and confirm floats are set. if your throwing the choke and the rpms decrease, your essentially adding more fuel and its starting to flood out= floats, needles, pilots or fuel screw.

97 700 had a problem with the choke springs as well, get the springs off a 98 if the part number is different on the 97 fiche.

Back