Removing insert for speedo key from drive axle

NY AttakGT

VIP Member
What is the best way to remove the old speedo key insert from the drive shaft? I had the speedo key bust off halfway into shaft and tried unsucessfully to get it out (pick tools, WD, PB Blaster, comressed air, you name it..). So I bought the new part (inserts into end of shaft) but have no idea on how to get the old one out. Any ideas?

The part below is the one I am talking about.

--Steve (O.C.)

Attachments

• SRX drive shaft.JPG
    SRX drive shaft.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 22

i drill it out slightly and attach a #10 screw to a slidehammer and it comes right out. this method works best if the shaft is removed from sled. if you choose to leave the shaft in place, a right angle drill and a bit slightly smaller than the insert can be used to drill out most of the materiel, weakening it so it can be pried out. dont screw up the driveshaft. do a site search, theres some more info on this subject.

Thanks. Axle is out of the sled on the bench, as I had been trying to fish out the broken speedo key, to no avail. So, as far as drill bits, are we talking like a 1/8 or 3/16th? Smaller? Bigger? Do you drill it, tap it, thread in a bolt, and pull it out using the bolt? Using the slide hammer, so I am assuming the insert is just press fitted into the end of the shaft, not threaded or anything?

--Steve (O.C.)

10-32 thread is a #21 tap drill. Start smaller so if you mess up on being on center, you dont get into the shaft. If you want to start with a smaller screw, 8-32 is a #29 tap drill. I'm also in Walden so if you don't have taps, drills, whatever, you can pm me.

Last edited:
NY AttakGT said:
Thanks. Axle is out of the sled on the bench, as I had been trying to fish out the broken speedo key, to no avail. So, as far as drill bits, are we talking like a 1/8 or 3/16th? Smaller? Bigger? Do you drill it, tap it, thread in a bolt, and pull it out using the bolt? Using the slide hammer, so I am assuming the insert is just press fitted into the end of the shaft, not threaded or anything?

--Steve (O.C.)
i drill a pilot hole slightly smaller than the screw, drive the screw in, attach to slidehammer and carefully pull it out with the action of the slidehammer. it will come right out. the tricky part is getting the screw to bite. start small, work your way up if you have to, leaving enough material on the old insert for a screw to bite. #10, coarse thread screw is what i use. i made a screw to fit the slidehammer by grinding the head down to fit inside the slidehammer. the insert is not threaded, just pressed in. once the old is out, just drive the new one in with a hammer

Finally got back into it and got the insert out. What a BEAR!!! I was up to a 7/32 drill bit, then tapped and a bolt threaded in. Had the long bolt going through a beam in my garage and trying to YANK that thing out (holding onto the drive cogs as I pulled, much like what would be done with a slide hammer, just wasnt happening. I ended up hitting it with a dremel and thinning it down, inside the shaft. Once it was ground down enough, I hit it with a pick tool and a hammer and started chiseling away, the old insert starting peeling away from the inside if the drive shaft. I was then able to grab it with a long ground down needle-nose and pull out what was left of the insert.

Then pressed the new insert in. Should be good to go. Is the new insert supposed to be flush with the end of the shaft? Or countersunk a bit?

Just glad I got it and didnt have to end up buying a new drive shaft.

--Steve (O.C.)

PS. thanks for the offer OnDaTrail. Almost took you up on it, as I was at my wits end! Where in Walden? I am on the border of Newburgh/Walden, Leptondale area...just north of Orange lake.

NY AttakGT said:
Finally got back into it and got the insert out. What a BEAR!!! I was up to a 7/32 drill bit, then tapped and a bolt threaded in. Had the long bolt going through a beam in my garage and trying to YANK that thing out (holding onto the drive cogs as I pulled, much like what would be done with a slide hammer, just wasnt happening. I ended up hitting it with a dremel and thinning it down, inside the shaft. Once it was ground down enough, I hit it with a pick tool and a hammer and started chiseling away, the old insert starting peeling away from the inside if the drive shaft. I was then able to grab it with a long ground down needle-nose and pull out what was left of the insert.

Then pressed the new insert in. Should be good to go. Is the new insert supposed to be flush with the end of the shaft? Or countersunk a bit?

Just glad I got it and didnt have to end up buying a new drive shaft.

--Steve (O.C.)

PS. thanks for the offer OnDaTrail. Almost took you up on it, as I was at my wits end! Where in Walden? I am on the border of Newburgh/Walden, Leptondale area...just north of Orange lake.
that was probably a sight to see. dont think the arms and rafter trick has quite the inertia of the slidehammer. i always put the insert in flush with the shaft. glad it worked out good for you.

snowdad4 said:
that was probably a sight to see. dont think the arms and rafter trick has quite the inertia of the slidehammer. i always put the insert in flush with the shaft. glad it worked out good for you.

Anyone have a part # for the shaft insert that the speedo key goes into?

Sooooo.....

As far as I can gather from all the info. I need to drill out and remove the remaining piece of speedo key in the shaft, as well as the insert in the shaft that the key goes into? Then I can put in a new insert and a new key?

Shafner79 said:
Sooooo.....

As far as I can gather from all the info. I need to drill out and remove the remaining piece of speedo key in the shaft, as well as the insert in the shaft that the key goes into? Then I can put in a new insert and a new key?

Correct. The insert is about 3/4" long and about the thickness of a pencil. Some said you can tap it and thread in a bolt and use a slide hammer to remove the old insert. Didnt work on my end....I used a dremmel to slowly bore out the remaining insert until it was alittle thicker than tinfoil and I picked it out with a pick tool.

NY AttakGT said:
Correct. The insert is about 3/4" long and about the thickness of a pencil. Some said you can tap it and thread in a bolt and use a slide hammer to remove the old insert. Didnt work on my end....I used a dremmel to slowly bore out the remaining insert until it was alittle thicker than tinfoil and I picked it out with a pick tool.

do you remember which end of the insert went back into the shaft first??? I do remember the insert is only squared on the inside to accept the key one half the length of the insert... the other half is not squared on the inside, but rounded...

I can't remember which end went in first when pushing it into the shaft??? need it for future reference... thanks... tj

Back