95-96 v-max 600 info

hotrodd

I am considering getting one of these oldies - how bad is the suspension - power etc? Horsepower? Anything special too look for in these?

Just looking for a backup or a sled for the woman.

Thanks

hey

i have 96 600 xt.suspension aint like new sleds. but xt is extra travel version(front 190 mm,rear 270 mm) and much better than 94 95 vmaxes.sled has 94 -96 hps last version is strongest. sled is heavy compared to this day machines 600 weights dry 231 kgs, 500 is 2-3 kilos lighter. Engine dont have any special weak points. Powertrain is better from 95.

this just came to my mind

ike

I have A 96xt. Rear susp. is ok(11.5 with xt). Engine not bad after head gasket change. Usually bad gas milage. If your lucky 8-10. Heavy like Ike said. Mine has elec. start & rev. Nice for the ladies. Dependable sled. In my opinion though I would get a newer trailing arm tripple. If it's a money issue, make sure ya almost steal it.
Just my 2 cents.

I had a 96 V-max XT600. I found it fair in power and gas mileage actually wasn't to bad. Handling requires alot more than the newer style. I switched to plastic skis which made a vast improvement. For the few years I owned it, the only problem I had was the suspension. Two metal side brackets snapped and I was forced to ride it back to a parking lot as a very low lowrider :) The Triples are alot smoother than the twin.
As everyone said you can't go wrong with a 97+ model as a back-up/girl friend sled.

Andy

I have a 97 V-Max 600 XTC that I am selling. It has 9" travel up front and 11.5" in back. 2200 miles excellent condition....let me know if interested.

I think before you decide, you may want to take one for a ride. I have a tripple and I have the 96' twin, and although the VMAX is a bit harder on fuel, ...it has a character of it's own, ...I actually like the sound it makes and if you get it setup right, it's pretty darn quick on it's feet. I find the suspension very sure footed and I could ride this thing all day, ...no probs. You can't beat the durability of these older sleds and I personally prefer the styling, ...it's stands out from all the other brands.

Back