Worried.....track lug pulled out side

MNJos

hi all, great to be back on the board. i have a 98 XC 700 (yes, i know, not a yamie) with 144 studs. one is pulled out on the outside. from inside out, taking out a square that takes out about half of that eye of the track. if i put my finger against where it stops, i am even with the rear bogie wheel. should i be worried about this, replace it? or run her? thanks guys.

jon

I have run track with tear outs and parts missing before with no problems but with out seeing it I cant really say....can you take a picture and post it??

Yea, i have ran them with small tear outs before, but then when i had my '93 XLT, there was only one tear out, on the outside band, perfectly square rip out, and i was ripping down our lake wide open, the track blew when i hit 98 mph on speedo, and sent me spinning a LONG way before i stopped. I spun right past a whole mess of ice shanties, etc. VERY lucky to say the least. Better make sure that hole isn't too bad...

Here is a point......How fun/good of a ride can it be if you are worried about your track blowing apart at any time? A good rule to go buy, when you see a problem or potential problem, better to fix it now in the comfort of the garage rather than being stuck out on the trail in the middle of nowhere or like happened to Yamahaholic22....having a track blow apart while you are hauling is NO FUN!!! Just my $.02, not worth the gamble. Get it repaired (Carrolltech....Name?, maybe somebody can help with a link) or swap it out.
-Steve (O.C)

A square section of track is much more likely to completely blow out than a rounded piece of track is. If you dont replace the track, I would at least round the hole in the corners, even if you have to make the hole bigger to do so.

track repair

Her's my two cents...I agree with Nysxr...but here's what I say and what to do on the cheap....get some good thinner upholstery thread and an upholstery needle...stitch it the piece ripped around and around making sure to keep looping into the tracks good "mat" area...if done properly, this repair will hold well!...I can draw a diagram of this if needed....

Back