Shockwave Adjustable Ramp Helix ???

Boomer

Lifetime Member
I'm wondering if anyone here has tried the Shockwave adjustable ramp helix? I read the write up about it in the latest SnowTech and it looks like they gave it a thumbs up. They said they ran one last year in a Viper and it had a adjustment range from 42 to 62 degrees.

I did a search here on TY and was surprised that there hasn't been any talk of this adjustable helix yet. It sure looks like a quick and easy way to make trailside adjustments so that you're always in the power band regardless of temperature, altitude, and snow conditions.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually run one of these adjustable helixs or from anyone else who'd like to chime in and share their thoughts on it.

Thanks,
Boomer

Last edited:

Clutch tuning by using the secondary really ain,t the way to properly do things. If you increase the angle in the secondary you can lower rpm,s but backshift suffers huge & you will slip the belt at high speeds. Also when you hit soft powdery snow your performance will fall way off. It is kind of a band-aid solution to poor clutching!!! When you buy a lot of so-called clutch kits out there you get a very steep helix to lower rpm,s. On perfect hard pack conditions this is fine but when you are on & off the throttle & get into deep snow you are hooped! The best thing to do is read as much & learn about clutching as you can; don,t be scared to ask questions & try stuff out! Tune your clutches by balancing the primary & secondary to get good consisten rpm,s thru the shift curve. There is a ton of help on this web-site!!!

Yea Turk that's what i thought when i saw the write up for that secondary. I have always learned "dont try to raise or lower the rpm's with the secondary by changing the spring tension or using a steeper or shallower helix"

helix benefits

I hear ya both on the reasons why playing with the secondary helix is not the preferred method to correct a clutching problem, but I and many others out there on this forum install clutching setups based on recommended setups from people like Turk and the clutching page,etc as a good baseline which I appreciate tremendously. Unfortunately, when one buys these setups, you're buying a $90.00 helix which may work for your desired conditions-application, BUT it may not. I can't count how many times people with clutching questions have been given advice to got to a steeper helix or purchase a clutch kit with steeper helix (unknown degree, no markings usually). Isn’t it possible, one may actually have the proper springs and weight mass, and the helix they bought with their kit for instance really isn’t the right one for their application.

I think if this product actually works smoothly, which I doubt, it may serve as a good tool on the snow when you may not have quick(?) adjust weights or spare springs to mess with. I unfortunately don’t have the time like I used to play a lot with my clutching so I appreciate any invention that allows me to adjust my clutching on the fly and learn from it, good or bad.

I’m not a serious tuner so don’t crucify me here.

A dual angle helix is usually a good place to start but It should not be used to correct an overrev condition. I like to tune to get it close with the primary & then play with a helix-secondary spring combo to get it a little better.

Back