Questions on SRX secondary Tuning

Rambunctious

I have a few Questions on SRX secondary clutch tuning:

I have purchase a 22 tooth gear ( replacing 23 stock) this should add torque and accelleration.

But, I don't want to loose top end so after reasearching on the board, I am going to machine .030" off the helix flange. ( should let it fully shift and hoepfully result in same or maybe better top end right?)

now. the question:

how long do the helix springs last before they fatique some and reduce their spring load. In other words, while the spring is out, should I re-install it with slightly more windup (preload) to compensate for some fatigue?

keep in mind i do not want to "clutch this thing" for short blast. i wan to do it some..... but keep top end. so only want to add windup if it is needed to get back to original preload.

I have 3200 miles on the sled ( 2000 SRX)

So:
1: does my plan sound good, did i neglect something

2) should i add windup to the helix spring

3) do I (NEED) to grind down the helix pads in addition to turning down the flang?

bottom line, my buddy beat me on my voyage trip last year with his (borrowed) 800 HO MXZ :o|

but.... I had the carb heaters open on a 40+ degree day !!!!! :o| :o| ( didn't even know it existed till after the trip)
and I had one powervalve cable ripped through (found that out later too !!)

so fixing those things,changin gearing, and helix mod's. I should smoke him on the start, and keep pulling to 116mph plus!!!! right!!

that's the goal.

thanks in advance for replies. :rocks:

Ramb

1) check centre to centre & clutch alignment
2) replace primary & secondary springs...$15 each to be sure
3) you will probably overrev & need to add heavier rivets to the primary clutch
4) stock clutching 00-02 SRX is great for trail riding
5) Clutch sled to run at 83-8500 rpm at wide open throttle

you can have your primary cut for over drive and that will keep your top end the same after gearing. ive done it as well as everone we ride with.

Back