One sick little sled :(

snopax

Hey guys.. Wondering if someone could lend me a little advice. I've been having some trouble with my 91 exciter 570. The revs seem to peak at just under 7K, to low to even switch to high gear. As a result my sled is comedically slow. So far I've pulled and cleaned the carbs. Installed a pair of NGK iridiums. Pulled and cleaned the secondary, cleaned and dry lubed the primary, and replaced the belt.
She looked like she was running a little rich after the carb clean so I moved the c-clips one notch up the needle. So far no love.. Anyone have any suggestions?

Was this a problem last season or did it just start this year? Where was the sled stored during the summer. Have you opened up the airbox to make sure there is no debris in it? The reason I ask is mice like to make nests in the airbox and sometimes the muffler especially if the sled was stored outside. When it reachs peak engine speed, does it backfire? What do the spark plug electrodes look like? Run it at peak RPM for a distance and hit the kill switch, pull the plugs and look at the color. You could also run it up to the max. speed and open the enrichener/choke lever to see if the engine speed increases. Are you running fresh gas or last year's leftover gas? Have you checked the compression in each cylinder? Will the engine rev past 7K rpm on a sled stand? Need more information to help you.

Rx: Hey thanks for the quick reply.. Lets see more info. Sled was garage stored, fresh gas and oil. Haven't been able to get the airbox open.. screws welded shut with rust ;). I'll give it another go. No backfires. Plugs looked a little rich after the carb cleaning, but I moved the needle clip a notch up from stock. It was raining in WI today >.< so I didn't get to have a pass with it. Cylinder compression is 124psi by the fourth pull, both cylinders. Engine will rev past 7k if I hammer it from idle, but dies back below 7k, even though the throttle is pinned. Sled stand or not. I'll try pulling the choke under load. Usually the choke kills the engine under idle.

Back