Removing Frozen Primary??????

NHMM700

Hey guys and gals i am at a loss and need some help pronto. I purchased a 00 MTN LIte Phazer for my kid. Being we are on the east i need to add weight to the cams to get it clutched close for the elevations we ride. Problem now is i cant get primary off. Have clutch puller and rapped on it with 3lb hammer and have tried impact wrench, its not moving. How do i now get this off without ruininng anything?

you don't need to pull the clutch for change the wieghts, I bought a clutch puller for the same reason and figured out I could change the wieghts with the clutch still on the sled.

They make a tool to compress the clutch that makes it really easy to change weights. I think it is Maxx Perf that makes it, but don't quote me on that.

I have that tool also,it comes with a tool to compress it and a little u shaped peice to hold the shieves together while you pull the weights.-Harvey

Yes it's true, you don't need to take the primary off the change the wieghts or rollers. Don't ever wrap the clutch puller or use an impact wrench, because you will damage the crank bearings. Try this once the clutch bolt is removed squrt a few (3,4 or5) pumps of grease gun into the clutch and crank end. The idea is to fill the air space past the threads with the liquid so once you thread in and tighten the puller the hydraulic pressure will pop the clutch off of the crank shaft taper instead of rsorting to metal to metal pressure. With this area full of grease secure the clutch with a spanner wrench install the puller and tighten it up, usually the clutch will pop right off. The first couple of times you will try this it'll usually blow your mind how easily the clutch pops off. If it doesn't come right off remove the puller give it another squirt or two of grease and try again. The grease method is a bit messy but is the only safe way to pull a primary. Be sure to clean the grease out of the inner bore of the clutch and from the end of the crank shaft. Good luck

grease is #1 in my book. i bent 1 puller with the good ol give er a few raps w/ the hammer trick. not any more

I had to use 150psi on my impact wrench the first time the clutch was removed. I now own one of those back scratcher looking tools that hooks across the primary and uses the other end as a lever you can hold or rest against the secondary while you use a breaker bar on the clutch puller. Took my 3 minutes to get it off last week. Most of the time was threading it in. It is amazing how using the right tools makes it a much easier job.

I very seldom take my primary clutch off because I have the tool for weight changing, but when I do, the grease trick always works. I've yet to encounter any problems doing it that way, so why not continue?

It is possible to have a primary that will not come off with the grease trick. In this case, the primary may need to be cut off the crank:(

along with the grease if it still wont come off. try hitting it with a punch and hammer. the shock of the hit will do the trick sometimes. usually use this trick when i have to pull flywheel but works for clutches too.

Back