predator vs. stock track

0srx1

Hey guys just want your opinions on this. I know it's been touched on before but I'm not sure if my question was answered. It is worthwhile to replace a good stock track and picks with a 1" predator and picks. Could I then safely run an 1.25 stud without clearance issues? Would it be a noticeable improvement ? Or to see any improvement would I have to bite the bullet and change drivers and go with the ripsaw ( I think with 8 tooth drivers there aren't any clearance issues with studs? ). I ride almost entirely on midwest groomed trails, but alot of times they are pretty beat up and sometimes icey, which is why I want to stay with studs.

Thanks for your input guys.

my brother in law put on a rip saw last year,its great in deep snow,thing will go any where but he lost a lot of top end,he is pulling it and going to replace it with a 1 inch track and studs.this is all on an srx,dont know if this helps.I hook up great with my 02 SRX with the stock track,only thing I would do different is I would not stud it so hard-192-next track will get 144 down the middle.-Harvey

I found that with my stock track and only 144 studs I would spin a lot, even with adjustable transfer rods set to full transfer. I'm much happier with my 1" Camo. I wish I did have the Camo Predator, however, as I lost a little top end with my full block and 192 studs. Overall, I would say go with either a 1" Camo and stud it, or go to a 1.25. I'm considering a Ripsaw without studs for my next track purchase.

I went from the stock track on my Viper to a 1" predator and added a torque limiter at the same time. I'm not studded and the difference is night and day.

I also have a 92 Vmax-4 that I run in snow drags, it's been very competitive in the stock amateur class. The Vmax has a full block track, geared, and 192 studs. When I had the stock track on the Viper running these sleds on packed snow against each other was a joke. In the length of a football field the Vmax was at the end and the Viper was half way. With the track change it is close, actually too close because the Vmax is geared for short distances.

Here's the Vmax track and the Viper track.

Attachments

• DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Predators.JPG
    Predators.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 239
Great response Canuck! That would seem proof positive the predator is the real deal. Does anyone know what you have to do to run a 1.25 stud in the srx with stock drivers?

you can either modify the stock guards which I might be doing or you can change your drive cogs to a smaller diameter but once that is done, you must change the gearing if you want it to go back to stock gearing.

i replaced my stock 01 srx track with a 1" predator track and 1.25 extreme max studs and it worked awsome.The predator track was a lot lighter than the stock one too.

Ripsaw

Guys, I replaced my stock.92 with the 1.25 Ripsaw this summer and I am hoping it hooks up better than that stocker with 192 1.175 pics. I listened to most here on this site and most said I would'nt need to stud, I hope so. I would love some snow here to try it out!!!!!!!!!!

Blueblooded, that is the combo I was thinking of. I have an 01 srx700 with only 300 miles on it, so the track and picks (192, must be like 1.175) are all like new. I've never drove the sled yet so I don't know how it hooks. It is all stock right now, but it's going to get clutching done, primary and secondary, and some good transfers rods to start with, and I'm concerned with traction. I'll be riding almost entirely groomed trails.
So...... my question is would it be worth it? I'm not the type to throw useless money at my sled, but if it's worth it I'll do it, cause I know a stock f7 that needs a lesson!

98srx6 said:
It depends on what brand of stud you decide on.
98srx6, I guess I want to know if I can run a 1" track with a stud that gives me .25 " penetration with stock drivers. From what I'm gathering seems like guys are doing it without a problem. Thanks

there is no need to worry about traction by the sounds of what you have,I have 192 woodies in my stock tracked 02 SRX and have no problems at all hooking up.Spend the money on clutching or some where else.-Harvey

0srx1 said:
98srx6, I guess I want to know if I can run a 1" track with a stud that gives me .25 " penetration with stock drivers. From what I'm gathering seems like guys are doing it without a problem. Thanks

I dont think you will have any problems.

Leave your tunnel and heat exchanger protection in place too.

Threw all of the tracks i have studded, I have found that useing a woody's 1.080 stud on a 1" track is absolutally perfect. I just studded my six pitch and the stud sticks out about 3/8" above the tracks lug.

i had the stock track with 144 studs down the middle. My sled was the fastest..........at digging holes...lol. Just upgraded to a 136 ripsaw with no studs i cant wait to try it out.

I rode my brother-n-laws f-7 last year with a 1 3/8 track with no studs on the trail and it felt like it was studed. breaking was great and so was the acceleration.

I seen my one buddy throw a stud right into his heat exchanger, overheated his sled and caused a big mess for us 100 miles from the cabin.

Im scared of studs now. From what i read hear everyone likes the ripsaw alot

Back