Breaking steering posts.....

ryanryan

Is this a problem on the SRX's and Viper's too? I only have a 2" riser. Should I worry about it? I have the tools to fix it but not the supplies. Is it worth my time to find the right tubing to jam down there? Or is this only a problem on the Vmax's, etc.

i hear its pretty common with risers, there was a thread on here a while ago about a gut breaking where it mounts on the cooler though from using a bar that was a little to snug when he drove down the center of the post. sound like something i would have happen to me.

Yea, that was me who broke the bottom mount on the cooler. I used a 1/2 inch gas pipe nipple 6 inches long. I even cut a groove in it for the welded seam in the steering post, but I guess I hammered it in a little too hard. I hit a rock last year and my cooler had a pretty bad bow in it from that and even the bottom rivets were broken off between my cooler and belly pan. So maybe things were already on thier way to breaking before I hammered the pipe inside. But I would still watch when hammering it in since that bottom mount is part of your cooler. Good luck.

I have an srx and mine broke but mine was flush at the where the handlebars mount and I wasnt running any riser.

YAMAHIZAL700 said:
I have an srx and mine broke but mine was flush at the where the handlebars mount and I wasnt running any riser.
x2, my 98 broke without risers, sounds like the same place. but mine broke AFTER installing the steering stem stiffener sold by mpi back when everone was having troubles with the post breakage. been welded since and so far, knock on wood, still holding even with the 8" rise.

Mine broke 2wks ago, right at the weld on the plate to the shaft. I was awating a quik fix w/new column and then fix old one w/adding 2-3"...... unfortunately waiting on part still. Good thing there is no snow here.

I was going literally 2mph... hit a little hard on the downside of plowed driveway... maybe 1/5-2'... if that? Got a little over the bars and fought it sat down and hit th gas on some wobbly a$$ bars... Go Team Suck!

mine broke on my 98 vmax an sent me wid eopen into the trees at 50 an i had to bail an totaled it i recommend bracing it to everyone who owns one cuz my near death expierince made me litle edgy now

Back