Water pump seal ..... 01 SXR 700

speedracer

Anti freeze is dripping out the water pump weep hole under engine. Already replaced the o ring gasket on cover, I thought it was that. Only seems to leak when engine is in a certain position. Does the motor have to come out to change water pump seal? Anybody have any helpful hints? 2001 SXR 700

I think i have the same problem on my sled, and the consensus is that you pretty much have to pull the engine to do the seals. It CAN be done with the engine in the sled, but will be an even bigger pain in the ace. Best thing will be to pull it and get it on the bench where it is much easier to get at the seals and tilt everything how you need to

Its your mechanical seal thats leaking.Pump covers has to come off and you have to pull the water pump impeller and the seal is right there.Check on Yamahas site parts and service (micro fiche) and look at the blow up (water pump) part of the engine and you'll be able to see with detail what your getting into.

is it hard to pull this seal out? i heard that it can be a huge #$%&* to do. Is it just the mechanical seal that needs to be replaced, or will the other one be trashed too?

Ive done it only once and I think (can't remember) it did pop out,but if you wreck the old one it doesn't matter you have the new one to replace it.Just don't scratch the sides of the hole. Look on the Yamaha site to see what is involved.Ask a dealer he may help. I think the rubber seal is placed around a porcelain retainer thingy. Put lock tight on the impeller nut. I had mine loosen and wow what a pain to get the part ordered

Last edited:
I pulled the seal out. It is not too bad of a job. Remove exhaust, Drain coolant ( I did this by pulling the hose from the waterpump cover to carb heater off at the carb and sticking a smaller hose inside it. You can then siphon the coolant out all the way down to the waterpump. Very neat!) Remove the water pump cover then the impeller. There are two spots on the seal where you can pry it out of the engine, be very careful. Then remove the seal in the impeller, it just pulls it out. You will need some type of driver to drive new seal back in engine block. Be VERY careful not to touch the sealing surfaces on the new seal. Put them together DRY. I am also replacing the washer on the bolt that holds the impeller on. That is a seal also.
Good luck!

11H-12438-00-00 Mechanical seal
90210-06001-00 Rubber washer

Back