viper helix-overdrive mod

blueblooded

Who does it and how much will i gain?
i have an 04 viper s and was thinking about getting this done to my stock helix.

overdrive kit do help when you gear your sledup to keep your top end. Overdrive kits really help with top end because they get the belt to ride a little higher creating more top end. improvments might be (1-3 mph) depending on the situation but you cant go wrong getting one, it can only improve your performance, it wont take any away. We sell our overdrive kits for 120 and the are machined from 6061 T6 aluminum (standard) we do the machining of the helix for the overdrive kit so the total for both the overdrive kit and the machined helix will cost you $155.

Last edited:
Sounds great,im trying to decide if i should just buy a 53/43 helix that turk recommends or have the stock 47 machined.

Dalton helixes are allready machined for overdrive I think.If you need to get a new helix just buy a dalton.If you allready have a helix just have 2000SRX machine it.

You can shim the stock helix 80-100 and get the same effect. Shaving the helix is just more work. Either way will get the job done.

can someone explain better the shimming?

I just machined the flange on my helix (assume this is what is being discussed) which should allow the secondary to shift more and get more shiftout.

so what do you shim to do this?

prolly obvious if i look at the secondary clutch but it's more fun to armchair engineer here at work :)

MUFDVR said:
You can shim the stock helix 80-100 and get the same effect. Shaving the helix is just more work. Either way will get the job done.

Im a little lost too,where do i get the shims?
Shim it 80 - 100? You mean .080 to.100?

If you look at the mechanics of how the Helix interacts with secondary you can see where the shims go. As far as where to get them you can size up some flat washers. If you call Hauck they can make you some. They sell the helix mod. I asked them why couldn't I just shim the helix and Pat said you can it will have the same effect as the helix mod. If you look where you machine the helix that will explain where to shim it. I hope this helps. The idea is to allow the belt to drop into the the bottom of the secondary.

I should head out to the pole barn,,....but

ok ... if you shim at the three attachment bolts, you are moving the starting point of the helix outboard by that amount right. this allows the helix to travel that extra amount before bottoming out right? but does this shimming also reduce preload on the secondary spring?

or am i clueless :ORC :D

ramb

Rambunctious said:
I should head out to the pole barn,,....but

ok ... if you shim at the three attachment bolts, you are moving the starting point of the helix outboard by that amount right. this allows the helix to travel that extra amount before bottoming out right? but does this shimming also reduce preload on the secondary spring?

or am i clueless :ORC :D

ramb
I agree,seems like it would dont it.Anyone?

Back