I know..I know..but I am going to ask anyways.....

bluemonster1

LIFE MEMBER ONLY ONCE!!!
This has to do with track tension again.Don't want to open up a whole can of worms.But because a studded track that was on my SRX 2 years back did damage to the exchangers and tunnel,I want this newer track studded not to repeat that episode again.

Right now with the studs installed,took 2 weight barbells..1 is 15 1lbs and the other is 5.5 lbs which equals about 20.5 lbs approx.Taped them together,got 2 hooks on track windows and hung the weight with a cable.What I am getting know is approx 1 -1/16" space between track inside to under side of hyfax.
Track really spins easily now by hand,being clutch belt is off the secondary.I want to tighten the tension more and probably continue until track is hard to turn by hand.What is your take on this?

Doug

PS: worried about the ballooning effect with studs.

I wouldn't run it much tighter but thats just me. I run mine with about 1" sag without any weight.Because you track is not new it should roll easier as well.
Got all the protectors in?

you not sledding jeff.Went outside and I can hear a ton of sleds North of me just giving her.Now I can hear them against the South wind.Where the hell are this guys pinning it like that,probably around the La Barrier Park,but still where is the snow.They will be recking them sleds,probably doos for sure.
I tightened up track 2 5 turns more,to hard to turn by hand.Backed off 1 turn and a little bit better.Now has 7/8" space with weight hanging off the track.Maybe I'll back it off about 1/2,we'll see.Got protectors in front and tunnel.Not rear,but going by the last track it barely touched anything there.Trying to buy a rear protector from a guy on TY,but he hasn't got back to me.
Are you waiting till next week we we get above 0 temps,snow will be gone,worst year for sledding ever.

I had about 2.5 sag on my picked track before changing and had no problems rubbing anywhere both tunnel and front xchangers which had some rub marks but no rubbing anywhere else now my 1.25 track sags about the same need to tighten it up some to gain some MPH for 2morrow drags

bluemonster1 said:
This has to do with track tension again.Don't want to open up a whole can of worms.But because a studded track that was on my SRX 2 years back did damage to the exchangers and tunnel,I want this newer track studded not to repeat that episode again.

Right now with the studs installed,took 2 weight barbells..1 is 15 1lbs and the other is 5.5 lbs which equals about 20.5 lbs approx.Taped them together,got 2 hooks on track windows and hung the weight with a cable.What I am getting know is approx 1 -1/16" space between track inside to under side of hyfax.
Track really spins easily now by hand,being clutch belt is off the secondary.I want to tighten the tension more and probably continue until track is hard to turn by hand.What is your take on this?

Doug

Try this....
Find a spot where you can do repeated launches...keep loosening track by 1 turn until it ratchets under hard acceleration. Tighten 2 turns.

Then go on the lake, do multiple speed runs, and each time, tighten the track 1 turn, until you notice a drop in mph, then loosen by a turn or 2....Ready to go!

bluemonster1 said:
you not sledding jeff.Went outside and I can hear a ton of sleds North of me just giving her.Now I can hear them against the South wind.Where the hell are this guys pinning it like that,probably around the La Barrier Park,but still where is the snow.They will be recking them sleds,probably doos for sure.
I tightened up track 2 5 turns more,to hard to turn by hand.Backed off 1 turn and a little bit better.Now has 7/8" space with weight hanging off the track.Maybe I'll back it off about 1/2,we'll see.Got protectors in front and tunnel.Not rear,but going by the last track it barely touched anything there.Trying to buy a rear protector from a guy on TY,but he hasn't got back to me.
Are you waiting till next week we we get above 0 temps,snow will be gone,worst year for sledding ever.

I think ryanryan has got it there.I adjust until it stops ratcheting. I think spec is 3/4" gap with 20lbs. Did you put new sliders in too?
Went out other day for a short rip to IDC and back. Not much snow in the ditch trails.Lots of grass with a few token pieces of snow. Going for a drive in my truck tomorrow to see if there is a good trail to get to the river. Need to get some testing done.

jeff,pull up to st.Adolphe on the side of road near the bridge.There is some kind of a trail there that will lead you to the Red River.River bank is pure frozen dirt,but guys have been up and down the bank .Once you get to the River...you'll love it..wide open and pretty good base on it to.

Yamaha spec is .98 to 1.18 inch at 22 lbs. I set mine at 15/16" at 22 lbs. Track still turns easily by hand on the stand. I tried 3/4",but it really getting hard to rotate the track by hand. I might go out to the river tomorrow with the 600.Man with these bad conditions ,it sure is hard on my 1.25 ripsaw track.I have so many lugs broken and missing.Probably when I got stuck a few weeks back,and pinned the crap out of it to get unstuck and hitting frozen ground..probably took a lot of then off... :o| .I hate that track,them lugs seem to break to easily.
The predator on SRX isn't to bad with the odd lug ripped out..but that is the SRX and I pin it alot.Seems to be a better track then the friggin ripsaw.

bluemonster1 said:
Yamaha spec is .98 to 1.18 inch at 22 lbs. I set mine at 15/16" at 22 lbs.

Did you use a digital caliper to measure it? :D:DP
Set it at 16/16". Then you will right in the middle. ;)!
Sorry to bug ya but I couldn't resist.
I always run my tracks as loose as possible. The only thing I really watch back there is the side to side gap to make sure it is tracking straight. I don't run a rear protector and its been fine. The worst damage I've had is from track clips flying off. My front exchanger has a few nicks in the ribs . Hardly anything to worry about. I get more damage from ice falling off the tunnel and going thru the skid. Scares me every time that happens. :hide:

I am a carpenter/cabinet guy.I know how to use a measuring tape .I'll be the one tomorrow who will run my sled down the ST Adolphe bridge..crash thru the barricade and launch off the open end of bridge and try to hit the River bank.Should make it into the newpapers for sure..eh!!! Hope my suspension can take that kind of jump..lolll..It should..it's a Yami..... Call an ambulance just in case please. woohaaaaa!!!!

just for a note, my bros friends race each other all the time with there srxs, and there a dead heat, the last time they did it the one kept loseing and couldnt figure why it felt the same, so they were looking over the sleds and the one that was loseing had a looser track it didnt ratchet but when they ran each other again the loosers track would baloon up, he tightened track and they were a dead heat again (just for thought)

I have been staying at the girlfriends alot lately for some reason, and between her and her kids I dont get to play on the computer...lol... Cant do any sledding so been out at the ice shack fishing too...

bluemonster1 said:

Doug

I run Amsoil.

Sorry. With a title like that I assumed this was an oil thread.

Back