Heated GPS mount

WrdAl

I don't make or sell these, but I've been asked several times about a heated GPS mount that I have. The attached images are a little fuzzy, it was pitch black when I got home(5:30 pm). There is also a wiring diagram of how I hook it up.

Hope this helps someone.

WrdAl

Last edited:

I have a 00 SRX and i'm very interested in mounting my garman gpsmap 76cs aboard my sled. by the looks of your pics and diagram It looks as if you mounted a 12 volt battery somewhere on you sled. If i'm correct, what kind of battery did you use and where did you mount it. I couldn't get much info from the pics, because as you said they are kinda blurry. It would be very helpful and appreciated if you could send me some better pics and details. You can email me at tony@cjrinc.com or post here. Once again I would really appeciate any help you could give. One thing I'm worried about is the voltage diffence and frying my gps.

thanks! :rocks: :yam:

The battery I use is a 12v 7 ah sealed battery commonly available at hobby stores or electronics suppliers. I'm thinking of going to a slightly smaller 12v 4.5ah battery to save a little weight.

It is mounted on top of the right footwell behind the exhaust. On my old 97XTC, that is where the toolkit was mounted and I use the rubber strap to hold the battery in place.

I've kluugged a power converter together from an old adjustable dc car adapter like indicated in the link. I just locked the adapter in the desired voltage.

I got a Garmin Rino130 for Christmas and now need to mount it. The changes I'm going to make are as follows: instead of hard wiring the voltage adapter to a garmin plug, I'm going to buy a cigarette lighter adapter for the Rino and install a water proof lighter plug on the dash of my MM. I need to fabricate the heating element to fit a RAM mount for the Rino.

I'll post better pictures when I start installing my changes this week.

Here are new picts as promised. RAM mount for Garmin Rino series. Garmin cigarette lighter adapter. Marinco waterproof socket mounted on the dash. 12v 7ah sealed lead acid battery mounted on right side foot well. 16ga wire from battery to socket following existing wiring harness from engine to dash. Lighter adapter regulates to 4.5v required by unit, and has a fuse.

Still to work out: heating element
Will probably end up with something similar to what is shown in the "GPS to -30" thread.

Hope this helps someone.

Way cool! I really appreciate you taking the time and sharing this with us! How does the battery get it's charge? Also, is the dpdt switch already in the snowmobile or is that something extra you added? Sorry, i'm not really familiar with some of the electical components of my SRX. I just got it a couple months ago.

Last edited:
Dpdt switch was part of the old setup. The old mount had a spdt (single pole dual throw) switch for hi-lo heat only when I bought it. I added the dpdt myself to turn on-off the battery power to the GPS when the heat was on.

New setup doesn't have a switch. I only ever used the low heat setting on the old system anyway, so my new heating setup will have a resistor inline from the 12v source to a plug jack.

Battery isn't hooked to sled electrical system at all. Completely separate. It only takes me about 30 seconds to install or remove battery from sled so I take it out at the end of the day, and install it while the sled is warming up. I charge the battery between trips. One charge is good for at least 3 days riding no problem.

Last edited:

Back