New Track on 98 SRX700 Lost Speed Help

milljk

Guys, Any advise on how to get back top end speed on sled with new Kimpex Agressor 1.2" track. Changed over to it after stock track that blew. Seems to have lost about 10-15mph. I have a Hauck Trails Clutch Kit #3 on it. I know its tuned more torwards trail excelleration than Lake speed but would like to tune back in some more top end speed. Especially after being taken at top end by a Skidoo 600H.O. Talked with Hauck, he suggested changing spring on secondary from 3/6 to go to 1/9. Will try that first. Any other suggestions? Secondary has, I think 43/51 helix with Red Spring, primary Blue White Blue primary spring, weights not sure have to weigh them but their not stock but haucks.

Hauck also recommended their Overdrive Speed Sheave for the primary. Any thoughts? Thanks for feedback. SRX is now my second sled after arrival of new Vector, but I still want to hang onto it for old time sake. ;)!

I have not heard many good things about the speed sheave. Most guys say it is a waste of money, but of course Hauck will push it because they make money for each one they sell. I have found that adjustable clutch weights seem to work better than kits (ie: Bender and Hauck) Might be something to look into. It can be expected to lose some top speed with a bigger track, but I'm not sure 10-15mph is correct, as 1.2 is not a huge lug.

it's your track!!! :o| going from a .75 stock track to a 1.25 new track.....the new track will act like a big fan with the larger lugs.....you could loose up to 10 mph.

It is running about 8400-8500 RPM. I have to do some more testing, been since spring since I last rode it. I figured Hauck was just trying to sell me on their Speed Sheave. I'll play around with the weights on primary. Bought a gram scale just for making changes. Heel clickers or Heavy Hitters, any preferences? Any good books on clutching you could recommend? I need to get more educated on clutching.

I ran a 1.2 9872 camo track on my RX-1 & lost about 15 mph on top. If you want most of the top end back get a 9818 1.25 camo.

Never have done any work on the crank. Still stock with 6K miles on it. Have redone the top end but not bottom end. Do you think there can be a problem with the crank? What should I look for in problems in the crank?

My brother in law put a ripsaw on his 98 SRX and lost a bunch of top end,thing is crazy in deep snow though.-Harvey

If It Vibrates In The Handelbars You Crank Might Out Of Phase...and It Will Lose Top End

milljk said:
Guys, Any advise on how to get back top end speed on sled with new Kimpex Agressor 1.2" track. Changed over to it after stock track that blew. Seems to have lost about 10-15mph. I have a Hauck Trails Clutch Kit #3 on it. I know its tuned more torwards trail excelleration than Lake speed but would like to tune back in some more top end speed. Especially after being taken at top end by a Skidoo 600H.O. Talked with Hauck, he suggested changing spring on secondary from 3/6 to go to 1/9. Will try that first. Any other suggestions? Secondary has, I think 43/51 helix with Red Spring, primary Blue White Blue primary spring, weights not sure have to weigh them but their not stock but haucks.

Hauck also recommended their Overdrive Speed Sheave for the primary. Any thoughts? Thanks for feedback. SRX is now my second sled after arrival of new Vector, but I still want to hang onto it for old time sake. ;)!

I woulsd anticipate some MPH loss also and this may sound really stupid, but how is the track tension. I have seen alot of guys swap out tracks and then on the new one crank the tension up to Yammi specs and usually after backing off the percieved problem seems to go away for the most part.

Track tension is very loose. If tightened to Spec, you get really crappy Hyfax wear. I run it loose enough but not to loose, (no ratcheting). I don't think that is the problem but thanks anyway. Can't be sure about handle bar vibration for crank issue, will have to check it next time out. I don't think/remember if there is any.

SRXMAGIC said:
it's your track!!! :o| going from a .75 stock track to a 1.25 new track.....the new track will act like a big fan with the larger lugs.....you could loose up to 10 mph.

srxmagic is right.....if you were to go to a .54 speed track and load it with some ice picks and set it on the ice you would acutally gain more speed.

Back