Just Like You

My nephew's son just graduated from High School this last spring. My nephew died in a similar snowmobile accident just a couple months after learning he was going to be a father. I know this story all too well. It's been 18+ yrs since Goober's accident. I still see the hurt in his brother & sister's eyes when they talk about that night.

I have never seen this post, but here is my story:
My two roomates (Mitch and Andy) along with a good friend (Steve) went up to Lake Wisconsin to snowmobile. Trails were closed, but ice was good and a few inches of snow on the lake. We were all out there for a good part of the day, having a few beers, some more than others. Anyways, Andy and I decided to go home, I had to work and was getting fairly late. Mitch and Steve decided to go to a girls house they were friends with to hang out for a while, was about a 10min ride up the lake. Well, we get home (30min drive) and about 40min later this girl calls and says her dads police scanner is going off about a snowmobile accident just down the lake from them. She was worried because Steve and Mitch weren't there yet. She says her dad, who is a volunteer firefighter was going to go check it out, she'd call us back and let us know what he found out. She calls us back about 30min later and her dad had made a positive ID on the bodies....it was them. What had happened, is that there was a
warm water runoff for the generators at the old ARMY ammunition plant. There was a spot of open water there because of this, so it was always barricaded off every winter with concrete piers and cable. This area was approx 100' out from shore and approx 100' in length, so a big cube essentially was barricaded. Cable had small reflectors hanging every 12' or so. Anyways, the DNR estimated their speed at 45-50MPH....they never saw the cable. The coroner said it was an instant death, they were both nearly decapitated. They were both well over the legal limit at the time of their death. That was pretty rough, two friends at once...Having to tell their families, girlfriends was tough. So please, ride safe.
This happened on Dec. 26, 2004.

I also went through a loss of a family member on a snowmobile many years ago.It was in the early 90's approx.My brother in law up in Churchill ,Manitoba where he lived and worked with his sister and husband running their Polar Bear Tour Company and Motel Business.He was the Tundra Bus Driver and Guide.One night he and a bud went snowmobiling to another friends house.I guess they had a few drinks as I would think they would of,of course after his death it was never brought out in the open.On their way back to Town,he connected up with one of the Local Native's and they decided to have a race back to Town.My Brother in Law was on the RR tracks,while the Native fellow was along the side more.My Brother in Law didn't have a Helmet on also..they started to race when all of a sudden my B-in Law hit the manual switching Mechanism along the Track.That was it for him right there.His friend who was following behind tried to stop him..but was to late.He saw the whole event unfold in front of him.Once my B-in Law hit the switch,his body went flying ahead..then the sled came along airborne and landed on his chest and then it basically blew up or caught on fire.His friend from behind got off his sled and ran to him..he only had one breath left and he was gone.Helmet would not of helped,we were told his chest was crushed from the impact.Got the phone call at home like 3 am in the morning.Was a sad time for all of us.We lost one great guy.

We miss you Dan....

Wow. My step father had a friend that was fixing up a sled that he had just sold and he wanted to take it for a last ride before he shipped it. But unforcenetly it was really foggy that day and he hit a tree at about fifty or so and died by a broken neck instantly. I had a close call with taking corner to fast last time I was out and was be able to slow down and turn just enough to miss 2 trees and I stopped with a 3 foot rock in front of me and I got stuck. It was a real eye opener to me so are all your story's from now on I am slowing down big time on small trails! I hope you guys do too!

As you all should know, there was no intent of opening any old scars. This is just so powerful and maybe, just maybe, it saves a life or at the least a bad decision, then it was worth it. My heart goes out to anyone with such an experience.

I think it's a great reminder to all. I was personally involved in an accident last season that I still wonder how it turned out as well as it did. Gets a little long, but since we are sharing :)

Memorial day weekend we decide to run to Cooke City (80" on the ground and predicting 2'+) for the weekend. Brother in law was diagnosed with brain cancer in late April and doctor gave him the go ahead to make the trip the Thursday before. Plan is to drive out Friday, ride the weekend, and come home Monday so he can start chemo on Tuesday. All goes as planned right until it doens't. I'm zipping along "the meadow" riding my new to me nytro that I've put all of 30 miles on in MN due to our poor winter. Lighting is terribly flat. Decide to play with the N2O a little and see what sort of rpm gain I get so I know what to expect when climbing. Watching the tach (600 rpm gain which was perfect) and look up to see that I'm driving into the creek bank (usually it's full of snow) at about 70+. Tap the brake, realize there is no way, and whack the throttle to get the front end up (all happens amazingly fast). Pile into the bank. Thought that goes through my head as my chest is hitting the bars is "this is why I wear a vest." Black out, come to when I hit the ground. First thought is "where's the sled and is it going to hit me." Curl up in a ball and it ends up about 18" from my head. Lay there for a bit taking inventory while my people start driving up. Knee hurts the worst from going through the plastic and hitting the secondary. Helmet off, sit up, chest hurts, wrist hurts, knee is killing me. Start assessing situation. Sled is a pretzel, twisted up, busted up, still sitting there running though(Yamaha reliability). We (sled and I) ended up 60 ish feet from the bank. Looks like we only cartwheeled once or twice. We rode it off the mountain (which was a trip). Do physical inventory back at the hotel and figure that I must be ok since a couple hours had elapsed and I hadn't passed out, bleed out, or had anything start hurting worse than it was. Rode the spare sled Sunday. Monday's drive home was horrible. Would take me multiple seconds to get my arm to the steering wheel. Chest was possibly the worst pain I'd ever felt. Went to work Tuesday, ate ibuprofen like m&m's for two weeks and slowly started to get over the chest pain and my knee would swell everyday during that time. Didn't go to the doctor as everything worked and the only thing I was going to gain was pain killers. Talked to my doc a couple months later and he figured I broke my sternum, but agreed that there was really nothing he could do other than tell me to behave. After 3 months I finally didn't get tears when I'd cough or sneeze. Took 6 months to finally feel no effects. Everyone there is positive that without a vest I'd have been getting a helicoptor ride off the hill that day and possibly worse. So long story short - wear your gear, check those conditions (had ridden that spot numerous times), and try to live the best life you can cause you just never know when something might change.

Last edited:
My 2 cents.
Carry all the survival gear you can when your riding the wilderness and EVERY rider that hits the ice should be wearing a float suit.
I havent been in the sledding sport for many years until this year.
My last trip was to a place called Ahmic Harbour in the Parry Sound District.
Great time and great trails, but stupidity prevailed.
We approached Ahmic Lake from an off trail location and nearly paid the price.
Even after being told by the local cottage owner to stay clear of the area because of springs.
We hit the lake fast and headed for the main trail. 8 sleds were suddenly fanning out looking for solid ice as it was breaking up all around us.
All experienced riders, we didnt panic and made a tight fist around the throttles and made to good ice. Not a floater suit on one of us. :o|
Later the same night coming back from a bar in Parry Sound, the trail went right and disappeared into a ravine while I was still in the air. OOPS.
The guys had to throw me a rope as I was 10 feet from the falling off a 60 foot cliff. I was thrown over the edge while trying to salvage the situation and was laying in the snow overhang.
Not an hour later as we approached the cottages I nearly got smoked by a deer at 100mph on the Lake.
I could outrun the headlight on the ol' RXL at about 60mph and we had come up on a whole herd on the ice. I seen the shadow blow by me just a couple feet on my left. Starting flashing my brake light to warn the others and as I slowed and had light again, I could see the deer scattering in every direction.
Could have been bad.
Loaded up the next morning and headed home with the firm knowledge that I was lucky to be headed home.
I was a hard core bush riding night racer by any standards. Sold the sled.

When doubt, slow down......unless your on thin ice. ;)!

Last edited:
That is a VERY good article. I can relate to everything that was said. Just wish that I had read it before my D-Day.
http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76096
It's been just a little over two years and 6 operations later. Realistically, I'll probably never be on a sled again. I should have died.Just be crippled the rest of my life.
I believe GOD saved me because I have more to learn from him before I can get to heaven.

Last edited:
Damn, you got your shoulder messed up there.
My little excursion hanging off the ledge ended up in shoulder surgery too.
I knew it was messed up as we were riding back to the cottages, but I ignored it in favour of covering the 4-5 hour trip home in the morning. I didnt want to worry the wife more by being stuck in a hospital away from home and holding up my buddies on top of it.
My sled spit through a big pine tree and I guess a limb caught me on the way through. I remember going through the tree in the fetal position and coming out of like helicopter blade. lol
I had some of the tendons re-routed. Basically, cut from the chest, back and bicep, and stapled around the shoulder to keep a couple screws and pins in place. 18 months before I could lift my arm high enough in the shower to wash the soap out the pit. Of course 4 young children slowed the healing process.
;)!
It was just a scratch compared to that railway you got goin on.
The docs are learning more everyday. They'll have you sorted out eventually and you'll be back at it.
Oh, and uhhhhhh, my prayers go out to your wife as much as you.
If your like most of us men that are locked down, she's been given some extra patience. Mine was threatening to kill me herself after about 2 weeks of it. :rofl:
Best of luck to you. ;)!
And to the rest of you readers.....pay attention.

Back