Make sure you torque bolts before riding..close call for me

bluemonster1

LIFE MEMBER ONLY ONCE!!!
Went for a 50 km ride today on the 600. Coming close to home, started slowing down and then started accelerating again..I hear this noise,fluttering sound like something was letting go in the engine department.It was on the clutch side and was evident something didn't sound right,lots of vibration going on in the left side.I opened the hood and couldn't believe what I saw.2 bolts were backed all the way out on the clutch cover,to a point I could basically pull them out.They were about ready to fly off I guess..wouldn't that be pleasant.The others were still seated,so this stopoped anything from happening.The cover because of the spring pressure was only pushed apart about 1/16" only and made all this vibration.Prior to this I just finished doing a 1 mile wot run..
I guess a couple of weeks back I had the clutch out to change rivets,screwed them bolts in till they seated and forgot to torque them or even snug them good.Guess I was going to switch the socket to the torque wrench,but something distracted me and never did it.Just put the clutch in,torqued that at least and was on my way until today.
I wander what the worse outcome would of been.A couple of bolts going thru the clutch cover and thru the hood and or clutch shattering apart and nailing me that way.GUYS always check the torque's,this has never happened to me before,,first time....close call.... :o| #$%&*

Hey, I remember around 15 years ago, I was testing out a 150 Evinrude Outboard after another tech changed the stator. I was at wot and the flywheel came off and went through the motor hood. I was lucky, the flywheel went out the back and sunk. Crank was ruined. The tech did not tighten with a torque wrench. Extremely costly repair, as we had to install a short block for the customer. I still know the tech who did it, but he does not work for me anymore. Al

Less typing, more tourquing. You probably got distracted thinking about getting on here & telling us that you had your clutch apart..LOFL

ah now I remember that day...that was the day the neighbours wife came over to borrow some sugar...and she was totally naked..I pretended not to notice and put the torque wrench down and proceded to give give some sugar..lmao...axle nuts loose..who does that!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That sucks! I wasn't so lucky today!. I went for a short trip today, and heard a clunk. It over reved like crazy so I pulled off and and found part of one of the primary weights had broken and took a chunk out of the movable sheave. Time to find a new clutch!

now jeffz that really sucks big time..that is bad.Why would a weight even break???? THings happen,but at least your axle nut didn't come loose..lmao

i had the same thing happen to me. it was the first time i had my srx on the trail. we went out riding and maybe 20 miles into the trip the sled started to engage really high. didnt think anything of it so kept going until we got to the gas station. i opened the hood and seen all but to primary cover bolts hanging out.

Dad had to happen to one of his old Exciters with a Comet clutch. Put a nice sized hole in the side panel.

In my many years of working on equipment iI have had several close calls like those described in this thread. I have a big sign over my workbench in the shop which says "Slow down, THINK and double check your work". If you ever noticed the white dabs of paint on various bolts and connectors on your sled, they are from people at the factory who double check the critical connection points. It helps to make a checklist of the critical items to check on a repair. Review the check list before you go for a ride.

bluemonster1 said:
ah now I remember that day...that was the day the neighbours wife came over to borrow some sugar...and she was totally naked..I pretended not to notice and put the torque wrench down and proceded to give give some sugar..lmao...axle nuts loose..who does that!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I would of put the wrench in her hand.lol

Jeffz said:
That sucks! I wasn't so lucky today!. I went for a short trip today, and heard a clunk. It over reved like crazy so I pulled off and and found part of one of the primary weights had broken and took a chunk out of the movable sheave. Time to find a new clutch!
The exact same thing happened to me twoo weeks ago! I was ignorant to clutch maintenance and did not realize my weights were worn almost halfway through, one snapped and took out a sheave and the spider. I drove it home very very slowly cause the vibrations were terrible, but I now learned a lesson on checking wear items like clutch rollers and weights, albeit an expensive one. Good luck finding a used one, they are hard to come by, and I heard Comet closed thier doors.

Jeffz said:

I had something similar happen to me on my high rpm piped 90 Indy 500. I was showing off around my yard (about 75 yards X 60 yards) when I heard a clunk and it starting revving like crazy before the sled would move. I nursed it back to the garage and found one of my clutch weights broken in half at the roller. Didn't do any damage to the other parts of the clutch which was good. I think I still have the broken pieces of the weight somewhere. That sled used to sing nicely around 9200-9300rpm LoL.

21myedi.jpg
zwawyb.jpg

Last edited:
Dad found his clutch from his worked-over 580 Exciter. Would this work to get me by until I find another one? There are a couple of stock ones on ebay. Also, what does it take to swap a P-85 into an SX?

Back