What am I missing????

pb250r

Ok guys I finally got my sled running correctly. I cleaned the carbs and the powervalves and threw in a new set of plugs. I went over the whole sled and made sure all the bolts were snug. I also greased everything. I know I still need to change the crankcase oil, which looks like a complete pain in the a$$. What else am I missing? Also what are you guys running for crankcase oil? Thank you all for the help...

I assume you mean the chaincase oil? It's not a bad job. There is a drain plug on the underside, in the tunnel or you can just take the cover off and let it drain. I prefer pulling the cover so you can clean it out with brake clean and inspect the chain and gears. The gasket is a reusable rubber gasket so you do not need to replace it. You can use chaincase lube available at your dealer or what works just as well is automatic transmission fluid.

Tom

Yes sorry the chaincase... I heard of using ATF but I wanted to make sure that was ok.

Do not use atf oil for trail riding..it,s too thin. We use it for drag racing 660' as it has less drag on the chain/gears but don,t use it for normal trail riding. Use the regular stuff.

its only 4 bolts . put a pan under it to catch the oil and clean out aney metal shavings on the chain and gears . then put regular gear oil in atf is thin for trails.its a easy simple thing to do in a warm shop .broke down on the trail couse you didnt check and the chain adjuster was to luse and spun the teath off the gears sucks. ill never do it again!!!!

Did you check out the rear suspension: condition of bushings, condition of hyfax strips, condition of bogie wheel bearings, check the W arm for cracks, grease all the fittings, check the track alignment and tension. When is the last time you changed the coolant? should be changed every 2 - 3 seasons. How about the front suspension? Not to much free play in the bushings? Greased the front spindles? When is teh last time you changed the gas filter in the tank? How about the C-C and clutch offset alignment? Condition of the bushigs in the primary and secondary clutch? How clean/dirty are the clutches, may be a good time to remove them, clean and inspect them. Did you check the drive axle bearing (right under the speedometer drive) and what about the jackshaft bearing condition? Definitely open the chaincase, clean, inspect, refill with a quality chaincase oil. And the list goes on and on......

akrievins said:
Do you put one full bottle of the Amsoil chaincase lube in it?
250 ml's or 8oz's . should be a sticker on your belt guard with this and some other maintence specs.this is for standard chaincase,reverse takes a little more or less ,cant remember.

Last edited:

Back