srx back fire

offroader28

after a short run across a field at 7 to 8 grand and i come to a rolling stop or around 4 grand i try to go and i get nothing and if i pin it it pops like a back fire and will not rev if i let it idle right down for a 5 seconds then it will go as normal could it be sticking power valves? It is a fresh motor and have about 12 mi on it. any thoughts

sounds like an airleak and/or lean jetting. is your sled stock?? are you running stock jetting?? why is this a fresh motor??....reason for rebuild is what??

Stock Bore, Bender can, V force 3 reeds, mild porting, bought the sled with the exhaust sides of the pistons showing signs of lean and 3 was bad the jetting is slightly rich (came like that) I figured for the porting the intake gasket on 3 was also ripped figured that for that piston burning down.
now that you say airleak the boots between air box and carbs could use replacing I've been checking the plugs and they are cardboard color

offroader28 said:
Stock Bore, Bender can, V force 3 reeds, mild porting, bought the sled with the exhaust sides of the pistons showing signs of lean and 3 was bad the jetting is slightly rich (came like that) I figured for the porting the intake gasket on 3 was also ripped figured that for that piston burning down.
now that you say airleak the boots between air box and carbs could use replacing I've been checking the plugs and they are cardboard color

are they starting to crack or something? also, what is the current jetting you are trying to run? is the airbox all stock? dividers in there? shelf in there and untouched? how about the airbox lid/top?

The boots are stiff and not very flexible they do not spring back like new the center one took a while to get to stay on. Jetting is 1/2 147.5 , 3 150 the lid and foam filter are there i believe the shelf to be there but no dividers do not know what a stock one should look like will research that unless anyone has a pic of the inside of one

no1chevyboy what's tors?

Last edited:
no1chevyboy said:
sounds like tors to me
yup, adjust you throttle cable a bit.

see how the thottle lever moves a bit befor it pulls on the cable and hits that little button?
the TORS system keeps the sled from reving up if the gass isn't squeezed by rev limiting at a low RPM. basicly it save you from a stuck thottle.

it can be a bit touchy. you can bypass by messing with the plugs goin to the carb i believe, but just fix it and stay safe.

Last edited:

Back