buying first srx 700

justin1620

Hello Fellas, I am about to look at and purchase 1999 srx 700 and would like some opinions on what to look for before buying this model. This will be my first yammi coming from ski doo mx z 800 so I'm pretty excited. I love the looks of the blue meanies, and they are supposed to haul a$$ as well. He is asking $1650 for it, it has a few cosmetic issues rip in seat, broken speedo cable and tennisball sized hole on exhaust side of belly pan under the bumper he said from a squirrel. Does this price sound alright? It has hauck growlers can, hauck secondary, 120 studs, blue cobra windshield, 2 inch riser, C&A blue skis, and a skid plate. Hood is mint. I wanted an 01 but can only afford under $2000. Any input or information on this year and what to look for when checking it out would be greatly appreciated. This seems to be an awesome site for info.....thanks guys

I would say that it is a good price if the motor is strong, track is good. km are not too bad, I picked my 98 up last year for 1500 U.S, had some chips, sm cut in seat.
I would ask him about power valves, clutching, has he put new rings in, rebuild rear..shock etc..
Also check for bent tunnel, bent front end parts ( if there is a hole in the belly, he hit something )
I know I was exctied when I bought mine and over looked things, but I also wanted the sled and drove 7 hrs to get it.

Check the track over with a fine tooth comb, my track looked brand spankin new until I went to put studs in it and realized there was a 3in slice down the middle that I had missed(slice must have been up near the drivers when I looked at it)

Look at the front arm on the rear suspension too, these break a lot from what ive heard.

and congrats on your new sled! ;)!

that is good price if it's decent shape. check suspension over - W arm especially, bring a compression tester & try to look at piston tops as good as you can- bring small flashlight, 98 & 99 had crank phasing problems, ask if it has been repaired in the past.
Check primary clutch sheaves for spider cracks down toward the center. Check it over good in general, it is 11 years old & if it was maintained it should be pretty clean, if the owner did nothing but ride it & let it sit all summer it could be a huge money pit. Make a list of everything you want to check & take your time. ask the owner how it was stored in the off season-- fogged, stored inside, covered; or left out under the eve of the garage.

Ask him to pull the exhaust valves, so you can see if they're in good shape. Check the front swing arm in the rear skid, most have issues with cracking. I would suggest doing a compression check, 120+psi is good. I think the 99's had the same crank issues as the 98's, so run the vin# by your local Yammie dealer to see if it's been fixed. Check the plugs for lean/rich condition. And if all of this passes the test than before you do anything else take the carb rack off and make sure they are SPOTLESS. If an SRX melts a piston, 9 times out of 10 it's a lean condition caused by dirty carbs.

For 1650 check 4 cracks in the w arm take it 4 a ride payatension 4 vibration ecause thay did have bad cranks if no cracks and no bad vibes consider your self lucky 4 $1650

all good advice above,but again take VIN number to dealer and check if crank has been updated.

IMO i would hold out for a 2000 and up,more HP and just a better all around sled.

good luck!!!

Back