srx wont start!

yammysrx700

hey ,wen i go to start my 2000 srx in the cold it will not start no matter how many times u pull it over, even if i put brand new plugs in! but if i put a bit of gas in each cylinder its will start as normal. once started it runs fine all day as long as its warmed up , once u let it cool off and its no longer warm i have to put gas in each cylinder to start again ! , kinda annoying, so any help would be great ! my carbs were cleaned very well at the start of this season and i only have 1700 km on sled this season, i tested fuel pump in fall and worked perfect ! wat else could it be ?

yes it was set correctt last time i took the carbs out and my choke froze up on me the other day, it wud only go to half choke for some reason
it was pretty cold out though

yammysrx700 said:
how do i check that ?

When I bought my Vipers brand new, they had a recall on fuel pumps, when it got really cold, they would not pump fuel (freeze up) You could pull & pull till your arm fell off. nothing.
What they did at the dealer was: pull fuel pump off, and put silicone caulk on the screen, on the underside of the fuel pump, no problems since the winter of 2002 on both sleds. I guess it stopped the any moisture from getting in / around pump.
Not sure if the SRX pump is the same.

I once saw a guy run an extension cord and a hair blow dryer out to his viper (at a motel) put a little heat onto the fuel pump and his machine started right up after that.
(I guess you could check it that way) ???

yammysrx700 said:
fuel pump is under the airbox on the srx lol , how am i supposed to do that ?
Same location on Viper, just point hot air in that area for a few minutes and try to start, that should at least tell you if its freezing up or not.

yammysrx700 said:
yes it was set correctt last time i took the carbs out and my choke froze up on me the other day, it wud only go to half choke for some reason
it was pretty cold out though

I suspect you've still got a problem with the chokes. It shouldn't matter how cold it is, the chokes shouldn't stick.

You may have had some ice in the plunger wells causing them to stick.

In really cold temps and especially if the sled is left outside over night I apply the choke a few times before shutting it down for the day to clear out any water that may accumulated. I've read some shut the sled down using the choke to help with restart the next morning but haven't found that necassary.

As suggested, try to thaw it out. If you can't go to full choke and have to prime the cylinders you're not getting enough enrichment for cold start. The bowls shouldn't drain over night and if your not having troubles with fuel delivery once it's warmed up my guess would be a choke issue.

My 2001 SRX700 doesn't start well in the cold either. This morning I started it and it took 46 pulls (yes I counted). I have clean carbs, and a brand new fuel pump, and new plugs. Mine is the same, once it is warm, it starts great. I am going to try adjusting the chokes.
Let us know what you find.

I do not have a heated garage at my cabin, so all the ice that is on the suspension needs to be removed before I hit the trail for the day. I put my srx on its side to clear the ice and then tip it up on the other side. My srx is the same way for starting 40+ pulls when temp drops below -20 C . Well long story short.. after I clear all the ice from my suspension, I flip the choke on full and usually 1 pull and it starts right up. I guess this gets the remaining gas left in the carbs to prime the cylinders! Just my .02

sickric said:
When I bought my Vipers brand new, they had a recall on fuel pumps, when it got really cold, they would not pump fuel (freeze up) You could pull & pull till your arm fell off. nothing.
What they did at the dealer was: pull fuel pump off, and put silicone caulk on the screen, on the underside of the fuel pump, no problems since the winter of 2002 on both sleds. I guess it stopped the any moisture from getting in / around pump.
Not sure if the SRX pump is the same.

JM.02c

Like the Vipers, the 2000 - 2002 SRX also had the vent/screen in the bottom of their fuel pumps. The 1998 -1999 SRXs have an identical looking pump but the bottom of the pump casting is not drilled for the vent.

Interestingly enough, if you order a new fuel pump for say a 2002 SRX the part number has been updated[actually backdated] to the original 1998/99 SRX pump with no vent. I know this as I ordered a new one for my 2002 this past off season.

I found when cranking the engine with the carb fuel lines off, with the recoil, I was virtuall getting no outflow from my fuel pump, this occured with my original pump as well as the brand new one. I had a fuel pump off of our 1999 SX 700 on the shelf, so I installed it and had all kinds of fuel flow when pulling it over. I reinstalled the new SRX pump and again no fuel flow!

When I completed my final assembly, for this winter, I ellected to install the SX700 fuel pump on my SRX and have never had to pull it more the 8 times to cold start it, and have been using it for over 800 miles with no other issues so far.

I don't know why the SX pump works better at recoil speeds, it looks the same as the SRX pumps but does not have the bypass valve + hose feature like the SRX/Viper pumps.
I might have had 2 defective SRX pumps...but unlikely.

Works For Me!

well not a prob anymore for him... he sold it to his buddy.... and either planning on buying another srx... or look into getting a ditch banger... since he tend to do a few jumps here and there... and we all know how srx's handle those lol...

Back