Motor Problem on SXViper 700

northernsledman

Motor Problem on SXViper 700Trouble on a friends 2002 SX Viper 700. Sled won't idle properly, very sluggish, Cylinder 1 and 3 have spark but too much fuel. Plugs 1 and 3 are wet. Fuel is going into the air box.
I have
changed plugs, cleaned carbs twice, cleaned and set power valves.
If I run motor with air-box off, the fuel is spraying out of 1 and 3 carbs.
Compression tests at 80 PSI all 3 cylinders.

Approx 14,000km

Last edited:

Did you check the float height when you cleaned the carbs? Did you take out the needle and seat to clean the accumulated debris on the filter screen? There could be debris which is preventing the needle from seating thus overflowing the float bowls on those carbs. Also, 80 psi compression is very low for those cylinders.

did you check out the reeds?? sounds like the reed petals are getting worn out, and not seating/sealing properly.

guys, i wouldn't get too caught up in his compression readings, as i'm sure he has a cheap-o tester that's very inacurate.

Yes I have a cheap compression tester Just wanted to see if they were the same. I cleaned out needles and seats and the little screen . Carbs have been cleaned every year . Reeds have never been changed I will check them out. Would worn reeds cause this type of problem?

If it does turn out to be worn reeds, when replacing I would recomend sticking with the OEM reeds. Carbontech reeds are the best bet as far as aftermarket goes.

Back