new sled to the fleet.

cumminsdsl

picked up an 00' srx w/7000 kms for a wicked deal. the sled rocks and the engine is very strong but I am looking for a better suspension set up seeing is how this is going to be the gf's sled, would a viper or RX-1 suspension be a good route and is it a direct bolt in or is there any mods that have to be done, also it came with an unstudded 1.25 ripsaw, which is in need of some studs (thing spins like crazy), can you fit a larger stud in the tunnel with the 1.25 lug in there.

any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks

yes the suspensions are direct bolt in with no mods and no you can not add studs with a 1.25" track unless it has 8" drives at the front.

you can probably pick up the 2 rear shocks out of those sleds cheaper then buying the whole suspension. you will also need to have 10mm spacers top and bottom on your traction rods and you should be good to go. this is what i had in my 98 and is now in my 01 SRX. big diiference, not an M10 or Expert but a lot better then the stock 8". i also flipped my front shock brackets to lift the front up approx 1". still handles great with this setup.

Not really just a bolt in. You will need to remove old brackets inside the tunnel and re-install new brackets in new locations. Yes - the tunnel width is the same at 15 inches. I recently (last week) installed an Apex skid in my Viper and what a difference. No big deal on the install but its not a bolt and go!!!

Agreed a Viper skid will bolt in but nothing else. I was referring to other manufactures or the Apex mono. To bolt in a NO Action Viper skid is a complete waste of time and money and effort. Its certainly more travel but by no means a great skid.

he mentioned the RX1, not the Apex RA suspension. RX1 is the same as the Viper in the first 2 years of production. agreed the 2005 and newer are different. bolts right up. it is an improvement, a lot cheaper with less headaches then trying to install another manufacturers skid like an SC3 or even going with an M10 or expert. JMO

Last edited:
I don't know how fast or aggressive your wife rides, but she'd probably be fine with the ripsaw unless the trails in your area are always icy. Once you have the suspension set up properly, the traction might improve. I'm on my second ripsaw and I love it. But it could be like winter tires... you don't know how good they are until you drive something that doesn't have them so if you're used to studs I can see why you don't like the ripsaw.

Just work on susp setup for better traction. I have the viper rear end in my 02 srx and really, you get a little more travel yes......but I can be real agressive and it just does NOT handle like an srx should or can. It's still really goods.....but not what it was.

Go for it if you can get the viper rear end cheap enough but really all it will do better than the stocker is save your back when hitting a large bump at speed that could not be seen.

I am thinking about going back to stock next year as I am almost with yamaha on the decision as if that was the best rear end they had...I would rather have the amazing handleing instead of making it into being mediocure at everything.

Back