another long travel ????

mthier

I've been looking through old post and have found many different opinions. I am long traveling my 98 srx with viper shocks front and rear. Regarding the front end lift I purchased brackets to accept the clevis type mount and asked their opinion on how I should do the rest of the lift. They said nothing else should be needed that it should ride ok but maybe a little stiffer. I am doing this project on a budget but I want it to handle good and work of trail also. I have read serval post about changing rods and sway bar brackets and doing the set up off a sxr and not the viper. What sled should I get the rods from as I read there is 3 different sets. I cant wait to get the rest of the parts so I can get wrenching. I know the type of riding makes a difference I do about 50/50 and the off trail is not real major deep snow (Black Hills and sometimes the big horns). I value the opinions of TY members and would appreciate any feed back. Ride on!!

Doing the same thing on my 98. I used the stock limiter straps (redrilled one hole) and still have plenty of adjustment. I am also using the stock transfer rods, ground down the bottom spacer so the track sits flat. On the front I have Ohlins so I bought the shock extensions and I think I will flip the top bulkhead bracket upside down and side for side. By the way I know where U ride Im from Highmore SD.

and where did you get that trick from???

when you install the shocks you will need to reset your ski preasure by shimming the bushing under the ski spindle so the back of the carbide touches and the front doesnt.

go here to straighten out the front.
http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles/aaTECH/Ski_Alignment/Ski_Alignment2.htm
i have a complete long travel setup for your sled from a xtc if you are interested. arms with correct caster, wider rods, front kyb with straight rate springs, rear skid with kyb shocks. you can call me at work if interested. 207-532-0882

Can somebody elaborate on this flipping of brackets, i have gone with Ohlins shock extension, but if i can get further gains i would try...........James

just as stated above, remove shocks and brackets, install them on opposite sides and upside down, reinstall shock(try to) and you will see where you will need to make a notch for the shock to clear. remove brackets and grind notch. reinstall brackets. and bolt in shocks. this will lift sled about 1in.
poor mans lift kit.

I believe maxxium performance sells a bracket that bolt right in with no grinding and has 3 adjustment holes. Back to my question :o|

Back