Viper Clutching

stein700sx

VIP Member
My neighbor has a stock 02 Viper except for the 1' ice ripper track. Its overreving at 9000 right now.Clutches are clean,bushings are good, buttons are good and the belt is almost new. What's the stock rivet and what how big of a rivet can you get? Went thru the clutching charts but can't seem to find a 02 Viper running a stock primary. Lots of H/C setups tho.
Also wondering what helix would work well with a stock setup.

Something to ponder

Why would a sled "gain" rpm over the years? Cleaned and serviced clutches should be like new. Are the springsand rollers wearing out or the sheaves getting thinner? Adding mass into the clutch to keep everything in range seems like it would put more stress into it and cause failure alot sooner.

lots of things come into play over the years that could change rpms,add tip weight like mopar said 4.5 grams to the tip.

its getting better with age and gaining power ;) its why yamahas are worth keeping a LONG time, they are always gaining power. my 03 should be nearly 150hp by now...right?? has anything been changed on the sled? track? slides? running different track tension? has he recently changed any of the clutch parts? if any of these things were changed and then he noticed the over rev I would think it would be the cause.

I put in a 4.5 with a steel washer in the tip. Looks like the mid was already 4.5. Launches wot at 8500 and slowly climbs to 8700. Thats 400 less than before.
Just below zero and fresh groomed trails. ;)!

Back