Clutch cleaning

timd222002

I had a belt blow a ride or two ago and noticed I lost alot of top end. Started looking at the clutches and all kinds of foam and crap got in them. I've never messed with the clutches before and don't know how far I need to break it down I have the primary of now and the cover and seem to be able to access most of the clutch also do I put any lube anywhere when reinstalling?

dont let the wife catch you ..put it in the dish washer ....no soap cause some can damage them i have herd ...does a great job too

i just take mine all apart and clean with mopar brake cleaner works very well and blow out with compressed air

Just mentioned it to the wife. She's not a fan of that Idea but I'm gonna try it anyway im always introuble and it will give her something to complain about incase she was running out of them.

Mines the same, in bed now. I think I'll pull mine and throw it in the dishwasher. That will get her blood pumping tomorrow morn. LOL Comet dry clutch lube works awesome on pins and bushings. Spray evenly and let dry. It's a hard dry graphite coating when finished. Where are you in Maine with snow?

timd222002 said:
Just mentioned it to the wife. She's not a fan of that Idea but I'm gonna try it anyway im always introuble and it will give her something to complain about incase she was running out of them.
LOL, man does that sound familiar!!

Clean with compressed air & scuff the shives with a scotchbrite pad. Been covered about 1,274.286 times in the last 10 years or so. Do not put any kind of lube with in 50 ft of the clutches.

I'm not tech for TY, so take this as you will. I was a Yamaha mechanic now I'm an engineer. I've been using this particular product for over 20 years. If used properly it does extend the life of bushings and rollers in YAMAHA clutches as well as Comets. If you look at them there is very little difference between the two in design or operation. I'm not condoning any other type of lube to be clear, no wd40 etc. just the GP730A Comet. Here is the description and use as written by comet industries.

Comet Industries
Aftermarket for Consumers / Distributors
Home>Aftermarket >Torque Converters>Torque Lubrication
Lubrication of Torque Converter Drive Clutch and Driven Units

Belt driven torque converter drive and driven clutches found in current day snowmobiles, ATV's, mini bikes, utility vehicles, etc. like most mechanical devices, do require a schedule of regular preventive maintenance; this includes cleaning and re-lubrication. Equipment operated in racing, or in dusty, muddy or sandy conditions needs more intensive care and frequent lubrication. Possibly after each time the machine is used.

Clutch and driven units, even if not exposed to such extreme conditions, still require a lubrication that will perform reliably without "breaking down," one that will not "sling away," one that will withstand the many thousands of pounds per square inch of centrifugal and torque pressure and one that will perform equally well on a variety of friction surfaces, such as plastic guide buttons, steel rollers and pins, steel ramps and counter weights, fiber and metal brushings, etc.

The wear problems frequently attendant in this type of equipment are compounded by any lubricant capable of attracting dust, dirt, sand, etc. Even belt dust and metal particles resulting from the drive clutch and driven units' own wear will be trapped and accumulated in any kind of moist lubricant including oils, grease, anti-seizing compounds and the popular lubrication / water-displacing agents which supposedly do dry but really leave a "waxy" residue. Use of any such lubricants tends to trap this foreign matter, resulting in formation of a "cutting compound" type of abrasive action as well as a sticking and gumming action. A genuine dry lubricant will prevent this while increasing operating efficiency and parts life, too, but graphite and silicon lubrications must be excluded because of their "abrasive" qualities, particularly to softer materials such as aluminum, plastics and fiber bushings.

GP-730A is specifically formatted for the unusual requirements of torque converter systems operating in dusty-dirty-sandy situations. Using a liquid or moist lubricant in these conditions can actually attract and hold dirt and grit that in turn causes malfunctions, premature wear and system failure.

Comet GP-730A is a dry-film lubricant that bonds to the surface being sprayed within one to two minutes or less in normal air-drying conditions. GP-730A contains a high percentage of micro-fine metallic additive (MoS2) with excellent lubricating capabilities suspended in a unique bonding agent. GP-730A will not "dust away" or dislodge and bonding occurs without heating or baking. Even under sliding pressure GP-730A actually bonds to most ferrous and non-ferrous metals as well as to plastics, fibrous, wood, glass, rubber and many other friction surfaces. GP-730A performs well even under heavy load and extreme pressure. It greatly enhances effectiveness of normal lubricants applied over it. GP-730A is non-corrosive, inert to water, oil and many acids, solvents and alkalis. GP-730A contains no oil, grease, wax or silicone; it will not attract dust or dirt. GP-730A greatly lowers metal-to-metal contact and thus reduces power consumption and torque-loss.

Temperature Service Range: -300°F (-184°C) to 700°F (371°C).

A nozzle extension tube is provided with can for concentrating and focusing the spray and reducing waste.

Comet GP-730A dry-film lubricant is super stuff for your Comet Torque Converter drive and driven unites and even most other brands of this equipment, too!

Application: Follow the directions for use on can label. Use in ALL models of Comet torque converter drive clutch and driven unit on the working surfaces of ALL parts, including both rolling & sliding surfaces. We do here at the factory, too! Take care to avoid getting GP-730A on the belt or sheave surfaces. Note: Comet GP-730A is not suitable as a roller chain lubricant. Please always keep Comet GP-730A dry lube handy for use during regular shop inspections and maintenance. You'll be glad you did!

Like I said do what you will, it's all just information. As for me I will continue to use it every year when I clean my clutches and NEVER replace a worn roller because I won't have any.

Yammie triples & 4 strokes never ever wear out roller/primary weight bushings so it,s a wash!

SRX it is said:
Mines the same, in bed now. I think I'll pull mine and throw it in the dishwasher. That will get her blood pumping tomorrow morn. LOL Comet dry clutch lube works awesome on pins and bushings. Spray evenly and let dry. It's a hard dry graphite coating when finished. Where are you in Maine with snow?
I live in York. I've been trailering it up to eustis but there hurting now. Have a couple friends from millinockit and they told me that last rain we got didn't touch them up there so I'm plaI'm sure Inning on going up there maybe next or the weekend after next. There having some races in NH next weekend which I might go to if I don't go up north.

timd222002 said:

Todays lesson fellas is quiet simple

IT IS ALWAYS EASIER TO ASK FOR FORGIVENESS THAN PERMISSION. LOL

Tim, where are the races in NH? I'd like to run mine even though it's Valentines weekend. "Hey baby, I've got a treat for you. We're going racing for V-Day" She'll love it LMAO

Back