How to delay carb cleaning? Storage procedures?

kinger

VIP Member
With no fuel shut off, how do you prolong cleaning of the carbs? In the old sleds we used to dump some stable in the gas and let them run and shut the fuel valve off and let them run the carb dry, how do you do that on a viper? What are the proper storage procedures reguarding the fuel system? Thanks

PS BTW I posted about the idle problem, cleaned carbs and walla idles fine :yam: :beer:

Yea turning the fuel shutoff off to "run the carbs dry" doesn't really help much either. It keeps gum and varnish from forming on the main get but crud will still collect in the float bowl because it doesn't even get close to using up all the gas in the carb when you run it dry, a lot of fuel still remains below the point of the main/pilot jets

True, but if you play with the choke as it is getting starved for gas, it will suck even more out. 7yrs straight no carb cleaning yet on the sx...

I always warm the sled up then get all the gas out of the tank, run it playing with the choke untill you cant run it any more then start running it on the fogger and then let is chock itself out.

Just took the carbs off to clean them for the first time this year (97 700SX)

Tod

PS this is what i have told others to do........................

Snowmobile Summer Storage

Start sled and warm it all the way up.

Drain all the gas out of the tank. I use a siphon into a 5 gal gas can.

Start sled and run it until it stops, use the enrichener as it starts to die to keep it going.

Attach your fogger lines into the carbs. On the newer triple motors you can go in at the carb boots right into the carburetors. If you have a Phazer you can pull off the small rubber plugs that cover the brass tubs that are on the intake boots, you can then put your fogger lines over the brass tubes. If its a twin with the boost bottle you can remove the boost bottle and make two plugs that will fit in place of the bottle and drill a hole in each one for your fogger lines.

start spraying the fogger and start the sled. The sled will run on the fogger. Use the throttle just enough to keep the sled running. Run it until it is smoking well and let the motor slowly die as you are still spraying.

I use silicon spray all over every thing, track, bogie wheels, seat seams, hood straps (leave em unhooked), wiring, hand grips, basically all the rubber stuff.

Grease the suspension. Some people will loosen the track.

To keep the mice out put steel wool or a dryer sheet up the exhaust outlet. Put tape or a dryer sheet over the air box intake, maybe through one under the hood too.

When getting ready for that first ride of the new season, put in fresh gas and pull and pull and pull. After you have all that fogger cleaned out, install new plugs or at least clean the ones that are in there.

I don't think I can stress enough about getting all the fuel out of the system for the summer, I had worked at a dealership several years ago for several years and I cannot even begin to tell you how many carbs I have cleaned because people let the gas set in the carbs all summer. Then they wonder why the sled won’t run right. Same with bikes over the winter. The jets and passages in the small carbs are not very forgiving and the gas goes bad very quickly. You even have to make sure you do not have any lint from a shop rag that you may have all your clean parts lying on as you are putting the carbs back together.

Back